Trusting You

~  This is dedicated to MidnightDiamond2013 for being one of the editors for this short story.

I couldn't believe it had really happened. It seemed so surreal, something right out of a horror novel. I can still remember Ben's limp body sprawled across the scruffy couch, a tiny bullet hole through his left temple.

But you already know that. His long arm was slumped over his face and covered the horrified expression that had appeared when the trigger was pulled but you know that too.

Blinking my eyes at the memory of Ben's body, I scan the crowd to look for you but you aren't here yet. "Ben was a great boy, someone you could easily talk to if there was anything on your mind," the woman at the stage whispers into the mike, closing her eyes as the soft breeze plays with her fiery hair.

"It's a shame what happened to him," she murmurs before pulling her gaze across the silent crowd of people to find mine. I look away from her intense eyes as a shiver runs down my back. You're here. A smile graces your cherry red lips as you stare at me.

"Connie, are you okay?" my mom asks, her thin fingers wrapping around my arm. I scowl at her words and pull my arm free, feeling a sudden urge to elbow her.

It's your fault that Ben is dead. Ben and I had big plans for the future but you ruined everything, just like you always do. I glance back at you. You're sitting near the stage and smiling at Luke, Ben's little brother.

Luke moves toward the stage, his eyes set on Ben's casket as he pulls a crumpled piece of paper out from his pocket. "My brother didn't deserve to die, especially the way he did." Luke's icy, blue eyes meet mine and I smile but he groans and looks away.

Shivering, I look back at you and catch you staring at Luke sadly. Maybe you feel bad about what you had done to Ben. I wonder what you felt when you pulled that trigger on that tiny pistol that you found in your dad's car.

He had kept it safely hidden under the car seat because he was afraid of the people that were after him, the people that wanted to kill him and take away his daughter. Closing my eyes, I wipe away a stray tear that silently cascades down my cheek.

"I hate you," mumbles Luke. My eyes flutter open and I realize that he's staring at me. "You ruined our lives." I narrow my eyes at him as the crowd whispers angry remarks to one another. Feeling your eyes on me, I throw you an exasperated look as you jump to your feet, smiling.

"I want her out of here. That psycho killed my brother!" Luke spits. Anger bubbles inside me as Luke is pulled away from the stage, tears running down his red face. Pulling myself to my feet I catch a glimpse of my favorite red boots, the same ones that are on your feet.

"I loved your brother and I would never kill him. She killed him!" I point at you, making you laugh. People stretch their necks to catch a glimpse of you, glancing around to get a better look. Another wave of whispers passes amongst them and they turn to frown at me, expressions of confusion clear on their faces.

My mom grips my elbow and starts pulling me toward our black car. I dig my feet into the ground in an attempt to make her stop. I want them to know that you killed Ben, not me.

"Ben was a great boy and I would never kill him!" I scream as my sister squabbles to my side. "Don't you see her? She's sitting right there. That girl killed Ben, my Ben!" I shriek to the crowd while someone wraps their arms around my waist.

"I knew this was a bad idea," my sister stammers before pushing me into the car. Tears stream down my face and I try hard not to look at the satisfied grin that plays across your lips as you fade away.

Why don't they believe me? I didn't kill Ben, you did. "They all blame Connie for the murder, mom. Why would you let her go to Ben's funeral?"

"I didn't do it, though. Why won't anyone believe me?" I moan, kicking my sister's seat roughly.

I trusted you when you told me that everything would be okay. Trusting you was the biggest mistake of my life.

|| Author's Note ||    

Thanks for reading, its much appreciated. I wrote this a while back and I thought I should post it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks and peace out. :)