Chapter 6

<March 2022>

What is going on with this person?

I thought Jaehyun is giving me space to move on? But why do I feel like I've been sandwiched between Jaehyun and Donghae this whole day?

"Haewon, are you okay? You look pale." Donghae said worriedly from my right. Jaehyun immediately glared at him but stayed silent.

I smiled at him, "I'm fine, oppa. Thankyou for asking." I said before turning to Jaehyun, who immediately turned his face to look away.

I sighed, I don't know what the heck is going on right now. Why is he acting like my boyfriend when he straightforwardly broke up with me a year ago and rejected me just a month ago? 

Like I do admit that my heart is getting mushy again with Jaehyun being overprotective like this, but he won't even speak to me. And if I try to talk to him, he'll just glare at me.

"Okay everyone, it's time for the next game. Every group would be competing in a game of relay race, but you won't be only running to your team members. There's a twist, you'll be running in pairs.  So please form a group of pairs within your groups and our organizers would be tying the pairing's foot together." the organizer with the mic announced.

All of my team members groaned, already imagining how much of a hassle it is to run while being tied to someone else.

Donghae turned to face Eunhyuk, "Ya, Hyukjae, how are we dividing the pairs?" he asked his original teammate, who happens to be our team leader for this temporary group.

Eunhyuk scratched his head in confusion, "Should we play rock paper scissors like we usually do with our own groups?" he suggested.

"I don't think that's a good idea, what if we end up with people having a significant height difference?" Yumi, one of the staffs that are in the same group as us, said.

Eunhyuk nodded at her suggestion, "Everyone, let's try pairing up the similar height people first."

I was unfortunately quite tall compared to the females in my group, so I couldn't find a pair for me.

After waiting to see who from the male sorting is left alone, I felt my breath hitch when I realized I would have to pair up with Jaehyun since he's taller than the guys in our group.

Donghae frowned at me, realizing my inner panic. He turned to Eunhyuk, "Hyukjae, I'll pair up with Haewon while you pair up with Jaehyun. Jaehyun is taller than Haewon afterall." Donghae said.

"But we're the same height, bro." Eunhyuk complained. 

"Your height difference with Jaehyun is way less than Haewon's height difference with Jaehyun." Donghae argued back.

(A/N: to make it easier for you to imagine, Jaehyun is 180 cm, Eunhyuk and Donghae are both 174 cm while Haewon is 168 cm in height.)

"That's true.. Man the things the leader do for their teammates.." Eunhyuk muttered. "Ya, Jaehyun, come here man. I hate feeling short but that's sadly the truth." Eunhyuk complained playfully, purposely trying to lessen the tension that was building.

Jaehyun walked towards Eunhyuk while Donghae walk towards me. "Sorry, sunbaenim. I'll try my best to accommodate for us." Jaehyun gave Eunhyuk a smile.

I looked up towards Donghae, "Thankyou for saving me yet again." I whispered softly and gave him a smile. Even though I feel relieved, there was a small part of me who wished I could do it with Jaehyun since I miss his touch a lot.

Donghae gave me a sympathetic smile, "I can see that you're secretly disappointed, but I'd like to believe I'm doing what's best for you." he whispered back to me.