Chapter 3

<January 2022>

Haewon's P.O.V

"You're working for NCT again?!" Minji screamed beside my ear. I winced and covered my ears before nodding at her, "Yeah, the meeting I had awhile ago was about that." I replied to her.

Minji looked at me with a wide smile before realization hit her, "I'm happy that you get to meet the boys again, they really missed you. But I'm not very fond of the idea that you'll meet Jaehyun oppa again." she sighed.

I bit my lip to keep myself from smiling. Of course Jaehyun's cold behaviour does bother me, but the pain is nothing compared to my joy of seeing him daily again. I barely saw him this past year. The only times I saw him was when we had SM Town concerts or when Super Junior and NCT had overlapping comeback at that time, which I can count the amount using my fingers.

"Y-You! You're happy aren't you! To see him again?" Minji asked in disbelieve. Looks like biting my lip doesn't help me to conceal my emotions at all.

"I respect Jaehyun oppa a lot honestly, but he has hurt you so much already. Why are you happy to work for them again? He'll just hurt you more." Minji worriedly ask.

I smiled thankfully at her, acknowledging her overprotectiveness. Some people might dislike if their best friend meddles too much into their private lives but I really don't mind. I mean when I had a hard time eating or when I was crying a whole river silently, Minji was always there to support me.

Her overprotectiveness is valid since she was the one who saw and supported me in my lowest point.

"I do admit that I am happy, but I am also aware that he might hurt me more." I gave her a bittersweet smile. Minji smiled at me and went to me to hug me, "I'll always be here for you if you need me."

Her words brought the pain inside my heart that I've been trying to hold in since meeting Jaehyun yesterday. 

I told Minji about yesterday's events, a silent tear escaped my eyes. I quickly wiped away since I don't want her to worry more.

"Why is he acting like that? Does he still like you or something?" she asked me while thinking. The feeling of slight hope bloomed in my chest before I quickly shook it out.

The lower you expect, the less you'll feel hurt.

"Jaehyun is just too nice, even though he dislikes me." I tried to reason, more to myself than to Minji. 

***

<February 2022>

"NCT 127, please prepare for rehearsals. Secret Garden is almost done with their rehearsals." I popped my head inside of NCT's waiting room before quickly walking out to wait for them on stage.

It is currently the time for SM Town again, in the same city where the picture of us were taken at last year. 

It secretly hurts to be back here again, back in the place where it all started to crumble.

"Are you okay?" a voice behind me suddenly asked.

I turned around to see Taeyong looking at me with worry in his eyes. 

Am I being obvious?

I forced a smile at him, "Of course." 

Of course I'm just pretending to be strong.

"If you say so. Just know that we're here for you, okay kiddo?" Taeyong comforted softly while patting my head gently. I smiled at his touch, feeling nostalgic as it has been a long time since I've been close with the NCT members.