One

"I swear to all the spirits in this world and beyond that if you speak a word of what almost happened today that you will not see anything but patrol paperwork for a month."

Mako didn't speak as they walked up the stairs to Tenzin's house, sounds of the gathering people inside floating towards them.

"Did you hear me, Detective?"

"Oh I heard you, Chief."

Lin let out a small growl as she stopped and grabbed Mako's arm.

"I'm not kidding Mako. I swear-"

"AUNT LIN! Guys, they're here!"

Mako didn't let the opportunity go to waste, slipping from the distracted police Chief's grip as Ikki came bounding down the stairs to meet them. She grabbed them both by the hand and led them inside.

______________________

Most of the dinner went off without any issues. Meelo had "accidently" airbended his sprouts all over Jinora who retaliated by sending one her spirit friends after him. After dinner Korra and Bolin kept the kids distracted by making an obstacle course for them outside while the rest of the adults enjoyed a moment of peace and quiet. Kya had just walked into the room with tea for her and Lin when Mako finally had enough courage to speak up.

"So something interesting happened today."

Lin went rigid as she glared at Mako. She discretely mouthed the words: "Don't. You. Dare."

Tenzin was rubbing Pema's shoulders while she lounged on the couch and didn't miss the exchange between the two.

"I heard there was an explosion downtown today."

Mako looked to Tenzin, ignoring Lin's warning.

"Firebender versus oil tank, never a good combo. Luckily, we have a fantastic chief of police willing to put her own life in danger to keep the public safe."

Lin choked on her tea as all eyes turned to her.

"Oh, really?"

Kya's full attention was on Mako as she stared at him intently.

"Mako..."

Lin practically growled before Kya covered her mouth with her hand.

"No, Lin. I want to hear this since spirits know you wouldn't ever tell me."

The room was deathly quiet as all eyes turned to Mako.

"So there we are, a dozen or so officers trying to talk down a drunk firebender wreaking havoc in the basement of a downtown bar. Things were getting dangerous because he started shooting out flames in every direction. The chief over there ordered everyone out."

He gestured to Lin who was looking murderous, her arms crossed and refusing to make eye contact with anyone.

"We all evacuated but she stayed behind. Closed the door and everything. Not more than a few seconds later he must have hit the oil tank because the whole street shook as it exploded."

Pema gasped.

"We all expected the worst but once the flames died down the chief emerged from the basement with the firebender, both completely unharmed."

Kya turned to look at her and punched her in the arm.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"You could have died! That was so reckless!"

"But I didn't! Everyone was fine! I'm fine, that drunk idiot is fine!"

Kya huffed, crossing her arms and turning away from her. Asami was the one who broke the tension, asking what everyone was wondering.

"How exactly did you get out of that one?"

Lin looked at Kya who was still ignoring her and rolled her eyes.

"If you must know, I had just grabbed the drunken fool with one of my cables as he shot out one of his flames which naturally was heading for the tank. I didn't think much and reacted on instinct, using the earth and metal around me to make a shelter that could withstand the blast."

Tenzin's face was pale but even he looked impressed as Pema spoke.

"Sounds like you got lucky, Lin."

"Luck had nothing to do with it. You don't become chief of police by having subpar reflexes and instincts."

Kya snorted and rolled her eyes before finally looking back at Lin.

"I am glad you're okay but I'd appreciate it if you would try not to be so reckless..."

After a moment, Lin's face softened and she put her hand on Kya's.

"I promise I'll try."

"Awww, you guys are so cute!"

A small head popped up behind Lin and Kya, surprising both of them. Apparently the obstacle course training was finished as Ikki had come running back in the house, Bolin and Korra close behind.

_________________________

Korra and Asami decided to spend the night on the island while Lin, Kya, Mako, and Bolin headed back to the city. As they said their goodbyes and Pema tried to pry Meelo off Lin, Kya caught up with Mako.

"Hey kid. I need to ask a favor."

"Uhh, sure."

"You know Lin can be... stubborn."

He let out a short laugh.

"I don't need to know everything but I would like to know some things. She's not good at taking care of herself but, lucky for her, taking care of Lin is one of my favorite things to do."

She smiled at him and he smile back.

"I think I can do that."

"Great! Thanks kid."