Part Seven

~•°•°---------------------°•°•~

Nishinoya's POV

"What was - what was it you wanted to talk about?"

The taste of chocolate sticks to my tongue, my stomach is still warm, and the roof of my mouth feels slightly burnt. The bittersweet feeling of a year near its end embraces my very bones. But Asahi's calm, quiet voice is a hand extending to the ocean's depths.

I look up, shaking the pleasant cobwebs from my head. "Oh!"

He starts the engine but keeps the car parked, and warm air slowly fills the space. The seat beneath me begins to warm, as well. Still awaiting an answer, he turns to me.

I take a breath. "I gave you those CDs, but there's another one, too."

Asahi's brow raises in surprise as he looks at me. "Y - Yuu..." His reddened nose and ears, his gently flushed cheeks... a pang of something soul-deep and warm strikes my heart, making me grin at him involuntarily.

I dig out the third and final CD from the glovebox, holding up a finger with my other hand. Then I hand it to him. The heat begins to make me sweat, so I take off my gloves with a sigh. I watch nervously as he takes it and bites his lip, reading the words scrawled with black Sharpie.

"'Merry Christmas, Ace',"he reads. He looks at me again, eyes wide. "I - Is this--"

"Yup!" I grin.

Fumbling, he shoves it into the car's CD player and quickly presses a couple buttons. It feels like the world is,holding its breath. We hear a familiar whir as something slides into place; then a quick crackle.

"Yuu, did you start recording yet?"

"Yeah!"

"Y'know I'm not gonna have time to edit the audio, right? It's the day before Christmas Eve!"

"I know, I know, Saeko!"

"Whatever. Just hurry up 'n' sit on your drums!"

A few faint crashing sounds crackle through the speakers, and I grin sheepishly. Asahi covers his mouth. I'd told him I'd started playing as a drummer in Tanaka's big sister's band, so he was probably expecting something like this. But even so...

"Alright, guys - one, two, three--!"

Beeps and whistles and clicks and the distant sound of an electric piano, delicately spinning a tune I'd heard a thousand times before. Asahi gives a small gasp, and my hand reaches out before I can stop it. He grips mine with his free hand, his left still over his mouth.

"You would not believe your eyes,"

My own voice, although crackling and soft and almost as if I'm singing from the other side of a door.

"If ten million fireflies,"

A light base drum, providing a gentle beat.

"Lit up the room as I fell asleep."

The rest of the band slowly joins in, rising and rising until music pours from the car speakers.

"'Cause they fill the open air,"

I can picture the Karasuno band room in all its glory that we'd borrowed to use for recording.

"And leave teardrops everywhere,"

Asahi sniffs, and his hand tightens on mine. I'm surprised I sound so... put together.

"You'd think me rude but I would just stand and... stare."