Part Two

"So, Yuu," Asahi begins after I've removed myself from his oversized sweatshirt. He looks at me across the kitchen table as he stirs the dough together in a bowl. "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"When?" I ask, scrubbing a soapy bowl in the sink.

"A while ago, when we were at the garden. You looked - you looked worried, and asked to come home with me, but you never - never said what it was."

I can't help but laugh. "You brought it up on your own. We talked about the night you left the volleyball club, remember? I didn't need to say! And..." I look over my shoulder at Asahi, a little embarrassed. "You really helped me. I feel better about it, now."

He looks back down at the dough and blinks, a small smile spreading across his face. "I remember. I'm glad."

I smile, too.

~•°•°-----------------------°•°•~

Two Months Ago

"Yuu..."

I jump and turn to Asahi. He lies on his back on his bed, eyebrows furrowed. "What is it?"

He sits up with a grunt, rubbing the back of his neck. "It's just... I feel like you're still worried about that night. And even - even if you aren't, I still want to say this; so just... let me, okay?"

I draw my legs up under myself, sitting cross-legged in his chair, and nod. "Okay."

Asahi flushes a little, but seems determined to speak. "That day... I - I was scared. I was scared that I would never be able to spike again. I was scared - I was scared that I would let down the team. Or that I wasn't a real ace. Or that, because w - we didn't win against Date Tech, that we wouldn't succeed as a team.

"I would never be able to - to say this to Daichi, because he'd shut me down without letting me say anything. And Suga... I don't know. But you were there. I - I affected you the most.

"I was scared of all those things, Yuu, but most of all, I was scared of letting you down." He pauses, glancing up at me.

Biting my lip, I will my eyes to stay dry, as my hands fidget in my lap. I turn for a moment and grab the rubber figurine from beside his monitor. Then I turn back to him, squeezing it repeatedly and making the eyes bulge outwards.

Asahi takes a deep breath and continues. "I was scared that I would make all your connections with the ball useless. You work so hard to get it back in the air for the spiker, and... I was scared that I would let you down.

"And now, Yuu... I still worry that I'll mess up a spike. But I also know that - that we have the whole team supporting us. You may say you have everybody's backs, but we all have each other's. So no matter what, we're still a team. We're all going to - going to make mistakes, and we all know that we have to forgive each other - and ourselves - for them.

"So... you don't have to worry so much, okay?" Asahi finishes, looking up at me before his eyes widen.

Through the haze of teary eyes and a massive grin, I see him rise to his feet and scoop me up. The fidget toy falls to the chair and I hug him, hard, my legs wrapped around his waist and my nose buried in his long, golden brown hair. His arms support me, looped under my thighs.

"Thank you," I mumble into the side of his head.

~•°•°---------------------°•°•~