Chapter Six: Too scared

Alma's POV

Six! Six days had passed by since my last meeting with Zahid.

Six days since I started praying tahajjud, asking Allah about guidance about this unusual man.

Six days without a response.

At this point, I almost feel like the silence was the answer. That Allah didn't want me to marry him and that's why I haven't been getting any type of signal.

But still I felt as if that wasn't the case. I don't know, no matter how much I try I can't get him out of my head and its been over a month maybe his anger is coming from how our parents keep acting like we don't know their plan. Maybe he'll be nicer once I get to know him even more.

I finally got off of my bed after escaping my deep thoughts to go pray magrib, but at that point the echoes of my mothers voice bounced around the long hallway leading to my room.

"Alma, Alma!! JAAN I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ZAHID'S MOM" My mom, said barging into my room, while slamming the door open as it banged against the wall loudly.

" Oh my God, what's wrong Amma?" I said almost frightened at how she's screaming.

" Zahid- Said- YES" My mom said each part slowly while screaming the last word.

My mom was over the moon with the news when I said yes that she literally grabbed her phone and called her friend to tell her, I smiled seeing how happy my mom was.. maybe this wasn't a bad choice after all.

Besides my mom did make some good points on why marrying Zahid was a good idea. I just hope she's right.

--- 5 Days Later ---

Zahid's POV

Her name

No matter where I went, her name was always said and if it wasn't, then her name kept repeating in my mind like it was the only thing I knew.

At this point I felt like I was loosing my mind, at home, at work all I could think about is how I could get rid of her.

And to make it worse I don't even know how I'm gonna tell my mom that I changed my mind about the marriage. And I know waiting any longer would just make things worse. I just have to tell my mom the truth.

I finally got out of my bed and went over to my parents room hoping it was just my mom in there, usually my dad goes for a run in the morning so this is the perfect time to talk to my mom.

I knocked on the closed door of my parents master bedroom and finally heard the happy voice of my mother saying to come in

"Asalamulikum Amma, are you busy" I said with her ushering me to come over to her on the bed as she was typing on her phone

I walked towards her only for her to open her arms for me to give her a hug

" For you Zahid, I'm never busy when you made me the happiest mother in the world, especially when I know your finally gonna help me get a new daughter" she calmly spoke referring to Alma as her hands cupped my face while she lovingly smiled at me.

This is what I'm talking about, every conversation, every day, every thought was taken over by her and I can't take it anymore and that's when I came clean

" Amma no, I can't do this anymore" I raised my voice pushing her hand away

"Zahid, what are you talking about" My mom said, she was lost but I knew she had a feeling on what I was about to say

" Amma I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I don't want Alma. I don't want to marry her. I can't do this anymore. I'm so sorry Amma" I gushed to my mother

My mom looked at me with disbelief

"Amma please believe me, I didn't mean to say yes. The other day, Abba was at my throat about taking away the company and how to handle it and I got so mad that I wanted to end all the conversation that day and just said what you guys wanted to hear just so I could be free. I'm so sorry Amma I don't want to marry Alma. I-" but I didn't even get to finish what I was about to say as the loud voice of my father shook the entire house and my blood went cold

"YOU WHAT!!!!!" My father's voice boomed through out the halls and the room.

My mother's face was pale and I was too afraid to look behind me to look at my father's face.

What is wrong with my life, I feel like I'm in hell right now. I was so consumed in my thoughts I didn't even hear my dad coming home.

"Subahanallah, Zahid say what you just said" My father came closer to me and my mom. He then pushed me to look him in the face but I hung my head low.

I stayed silent

"Khadija, what did he just say" My dad hollered, but my mom at this point was still in shock

"Zahid, baby! Please don't do this to me. Tell me your joking!!" My moms voice cracked

" Amma, Abba... I don't want to marry Alma" my voice shook with sadness

"That day when I said yes, I was so overwhelmed with emotions before I went to work that I just said yes thinking you guys would leave me alone so I could just go to work in peace. I'm sorry Amma, I know what I did was wrong but I'm telling you the truth now" I continued as my eyes glossed over with tears.

I looked at both of my parents hoping they would say something, but nothing. No words were spoken and my parents didn't even look at each other.

"Why didn't you tell us this before?" My mom said silently

"I was too scared to tell you guys" I muttered

"Too scared!??! Zahid do you know what we just did, three days ago, we already sent over her Maher, a check of over $150,000" my mom said.

She looked away talking under her breath even more "too scared because of loosing your job but your not scared of the punishment of Allah for breaking a innocent girl's heart"

"We thought you were actually serious, we even brought her jewelry and so much. It's been almost a week Zahid. And this is what happens when you lie and don't tell us things" My mom cried even more.

"Did you ever think what could happen now since you waited so long, we gave away money, jewelry, and our answer to the girl. How could I ever show my face to people now, I even told my friends you finally said yes to someone" my mom balled covering her face with her hands

The sight of my mother broke my heart, making me wish I could just vanish into thin air.

And I was too scared to look at my father, he hasn't spoken a word since I told him why I said yes. And I'm afraid he never will anymore

"I can't do this right now, Zahid please just leave" my moms broken whispers echoed further into my broken heart and so like before...I left them, broken and disappointed as always....

I walked into my room, and looked at the pile of paper work that needs to be done soon, but right now I just knew I couldn't and so I layed in bed, and stared at the ceiling wondering how I could ever fix this problem I created.

And almost an hour passed by and the only thing I could hear were the frantic voices of my parents.

Soon my dad came in, and I quickly jolted up from my bed. Terrified of what he could possibly say

"Abba, I'm so sor.." I started but I couldn't even finish

Because at that moment, my father said something which I never thought he would say....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okie, welp I hope this chapter was good and you enjoyed... please please comment tell me what you think. I really love it when you guys interact with me.

~Nazia Horan