Chapter VII

Diane:

"This...this yes, it might work...it might actually work yes" I whispered excitedly to myself, lips curling upwards as a rough plan had finally been formed in my brain after a whole night of planning, thinking everything through, thoroughly. Every step has to be executed with precision and there is no room for any mistakes as I only have one chance to get myself out of here.

"Argh...wait no, but what if..." suddenly realising the plan may be flawed, I frowned, biting my lip as I punch my legs with my fists to let out some of the frustration that was building up inside me. Taking in a deep breathe to calm my systems down, I close my eyes, attempting to force my tired mind to start working again. There's no time to lose.

My thoughts were soon interrupted by the all too familiar sound of jingling keys that was accompanied by the clicking of heels against the concrete floor, echoing down from the direction of the elevator that could only come from the head nurse. With curiosity filling my brain, temporarily drowning all of my frustrations, I snapped my head up to see her walking towards my cell and she didn't come alone. Beside her was a girl on a wheelchair, a girl whom I've known her all her life but no longer knew anything about.

"Ch-Chloe?" I muttered under my breath, trying to figure out if Chloe is indeed standing in front of my eyes or if this was just another dream. Tears were starting to well up in my eyes but it was neither tears of joy nor relief, it was the tears of sorrow. The daughter I had known is already dead, gone forever.

"M-mom, how are you feeling now? I-I've missed you so much" Chloe asks in a quavering voice. Worry was written all over her face as she looks at me through the bars, there were hints of sadness in her eyes as she notices the injuries on my face, it seems as if she was genuinely concerned about my well-being. Fear and confusion crept into my head as I realised the person standing in front of me is another Chloe, she wasn't my Chloe, but I was convinced that she wasn't the Chloe back from the hospital either.

Something is definitely off, why would she care so much now if she didn't then? But maybe, I'm just overreacting and she's finally understood that everything I did was for her. Yes, she's here to get me out of this place so we can finally go somewhere and start everything over again.

I sat on the bed in silent with my eyes fixed onto Chloe the whole time, observing her every movement: the way she talks, the way her muscle moves with every facial expression she makes, her body language.

"Mom? I- Nurse Ratched, can you please open the cell door? I think she's just a little surprised to see me, I'd like to give her a hug" she turns her head and asked the head nurse, who now has a doubtful face. She was hesitant if she should let the innocent girl near me as she couldn't figure out a logical reason as to why I was reacting the way I was, which I didn't blame her as I couldn't understand myself either.

"Ms Sherman, I don't think it's safe for you to do that" the nurse tightens the grip around the ring of keys as she turns her head to the younger woman with a serious look on her face. Her mind seemed to be occupied with something else and it may be my own imagination but it feels as if the nurse is trying to keep Chloe away from me for my own safety instead of Chloe's.

"Please Nurse Ratched, I know my own mother would never hurt me" Chloe pleaded, occasionally shifting her gaze between me and the nurse.

"Okay fine, but I will stay here in case anything happens and to make sure she takes her medication" the head nurse sighs as she pushes the key into the hole, unlocking the door with a loud click after she gave it a twist. She stood outside the cell with her back straight, in an authoritative posture as she watches over everything like a hawk.

Chloe wheels herself to the side of my bed with a paper pill cup on her lap. She places the cup on the bedside table and stood up with the support of the bed, wrapping her arms around me to pull me in for a hug but I didn't budge. A wave of uneasiness washes over me the tighter she hugs, making my muscles stiffen.

Sh-She can stand. All my efforts are wasted and the thought of her being able to go anywhere on her own frustrates me. When will she ever learn that the world is a dangerous place?

"Hmm finally, you're where you should be, right mom? I'll make sure your stay here is pleasant as it is about to be extended, but don't worry, I'll visit you every now and then" Chloe whispers into my ears as she hugs me, sending chills down my spine with her words; the tingly sensation of her breath brushing against my face lingered even after she pulled back.

"Are you alright mom? Here, take your medication. I'm sure you'd want to get better and leave this place sooner am I right?" Chloe asks in her previous angelic voice, switching into a totally different person with just a snap of a finger, it was so good even the look in her eyes alone is Oscar worthy. She hands me the pill cup and a glass of water before sitting back onto her wheelchair, drumming her fingers on her lap impatiently as I contemplated on whether I should take the pills.

I shifted my gaze onto the head nurse, hoping to send her signals so she would help me but she didn't budge. She stood there in silence, maintaining her posture as she stares straight into my eyes, waiting for me to take my medication as well. A sense of hopelessness rushes through my body as I soon realised I was on my own. I lifted the cup of pills with my trembling hands, looking into the cup and saw a pill that shocked me to the core; it was a black and green one that looks awfully similar to the ones I used to give Chloe. Immediately putting the cup down, I could feel the colour draining off from my face as perspiration starts to form on my forehead.

Your stay is about to be extended.

Her words were repeated over and over again in my head, my heartbeat began to pound faster the quicker my mind races, trying to convince myself it was just purely coincidental. Maybe the doctor had decided to add another type of pill to my prescription and I was just overthinking things. Chloe would never hurt me.

"Please take your medication Ms Sherman, it's part of your treatment. You wouldn't want me to make you take them now, would you?" the head nurse says sternly, giving me no choice but to comply. They watched me closely as I picked the cup up once again with shaky hands, making sure I downed everything.

"Love you mom, I'll come visit you again tomorrow" with a smile of satisfaction on her face, Chloe turns around to wheel herself towards the elevator, followed by the head nurse who flashed me a complicated look before leaving me as well; leaving me all alone in the state of confusion and terror.