Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A bag of flour came sailing through the air towards Jack. He put his arms out to catch it, but it was too heavy and going too fast. It landed heavily on him, knocking him to the ground.

"Sorry Jack!" April shouted. The teenagers had been split into groups of two for today's first half of training and Jack had ended up with April. He was happy to have April, because she seemed very nice and funny but he had learned that she had super strength and was still mastering getting control of it. So the exercise of throwing a heavy bag of flour back and forth was sort of difficult for Jack.

"I'm alright. I think..." He replied.

April rushed to his side and lifted the bag of flour off of her friend with ease. He groaned in pain. This was the fifth time that terrible bag of flour had landed on him. They had only thrown the bag of flour 5 times. April held the bag with one hand and lifted Jack up with the other.

"Thanks." he stated, finding his balance and letting go of her hand.

"Are you okay?" She asked, helping him brush off the flour.

"I mean aside from being knocked over by a bag of flour 5 times, I'd say I'm good." He joked. April laughed.

"How about we try something else? Maybe we can work on finding your special skill?" She suggested. Jack nodded,

"Alright." He agreed.

The two sat down on the ground and made a list of possible powers Jack could have.

"So we can cross out strength after the flour incident." April stated. Jack gave her a look and she just laughed.

"Telepathy?" Jack asked, remembering Theo's power.

"Let's try it." She claimed.

They stood up and April put a weight between them.

"Lift it. But using your mind." She ordered. Jack nodded, tucking his hands behind his back and focusing on the weight. He tried to imagine it lifting off the ground.
They stood in silence for an awkward amount of time.

"You look constipated." April commented. Jack burst out laughing, breaking concentration.

"So telepathy isn't it, that's okay. We'll keep trying." April insisted.

They tried everything they could think of, but Jack seemed ordinary in every imaginable way.

"I guess our lovely experts here at Namour will have to figure it out." April concluded, Jack shrugged.

"Hey, how did you end up at Namour anyway?" He asked, they sat down on the ground, deciding they had trained enough to meet the bare minimum.

"Well since I was a kid, I was weird. Aside from the bright hair and dark lipstick, I mean." She stated, running a hand through her exuberant hair.

"I like your hair and lipstick." Jack blurted out. She smiled and he blushed. He felt awkward about saying it, but he really did.

"Thanks. Unfortunately everyone isn't as chill as you. I've always been the weird fat kid, but when we started a weight lifting unit in grade 9 gym class... Woo, I found out I was weirder than anyone ever imagined." She explained, "I bench pressed the maximum weight with ease. Then I did it again with two kids sitting on the weights. No one knew what to think, including me. I got home and my mom told me about Namour. They signed me up and a month later, I'm in training."

"So, 3 years?" Jack asked. She nodded. "How long have the others been here?"

"Well Amber was born and raised here. Margaret's been here for four years. Theo's been here since he was 12 and Lance since he was 5. I was the newest member until you."