Chapter 20: Surprised At The Art Show

Nikki smooths down her maroon pencil skirt after tucking the white tank top inside, she eyes herself in the mirror, fluffing at her hair and applying one more layer of Chapstick before grabbing her cardigan and walking out of the classroom. The show underway, multiple displays arranged perfectly in the commons area. The small area quickly becoming crowded with talented kids and supportive parents and friends. She notices a familiar man standing in front of one of the paintings, admiring the beauty.

            "I did not expect to see you here," she sidles up next to him, crossing her arms.

            Anthony smiles. "Yeah of course I'm here. I'm supporting the kids, right?" he flashes a wink.

            "Okay," Nikki chuckles.

            "So, are you going to show me around a little or should I take it in all at my own pace?" he asks, sliding his hands in his pockets.

            "I can show you."

            "Well, I wouldn't mind that," he nods as the two begin to walk around. Nikki showing him all exhibits and work. It's new for her to take an interest in since her own husband does not.

            "Hi Craig," Anthony greets as the man walks through.

            "Hey, you're home early," Nikki walks over, not wanting to cause anymore tension that is already there between the two.

            "Hey babe."

            "Hi, what are you doing home early?" she asks as Craig kisses her cheek.

            "So, I could spend some time with my wife," he answers as he kisses her one more time and looks around. "You have quite the turnout it looks like."

            "Uh yeah. I always do," she nods as Anthony walks away.

            "So, what does the kid get that wins?" Craig asks.

            "It's not about winning. Nobody wins. This is showing all the talent that I have in my classes. They are all winners to me."

            "Oh okay," Craig says looking around confused.

            Her eyes fall on Anthony and a student nurse across the hall, openly flirting and giggling with one another. Nikki watches as the young nurse playfully touches his arm, showing her perfect white teeth as she laughs. Craig kisses her once more, blocking her visual. But, as quickly as the lovey dove stuff starts, it ends just as quickly with Craig pulled away numerous of times by his phone and what Nikki would assume are work calls.

            "I'm gonna head out. I'll see you later. Everything turned out great," Anthony smiles, squeezing her elbow.

            "Oh okay. Thank you so much for coming," she says. Trying to hide the disappointment in her voice.

            "Yeah of course. Have fun with the husband."

            "Yeah, if he ever gets off that damn phone," she shrugs.

            "Well, such is life I guess."

            "Are you okay?"

            "Yeah of course. Why wouldn't I be? Have a good one," he nods before walking out of the school.