Chapter 65: Unfortunate Find

Annoyance clouds his face as he pulls out his vibrating phone in his pocket. Six missed calls from Olivia. At the bottom of the stairs, his phone begins to vibrate once more, Olivia illuminating the screen.

            "What Olivia? This is the seventh time you've called me in the past five minutes. What could be so important?" Anthony answers harshly.

             "Dad?!" AJ speaks on the other end.

             "AJ? What's wrong? Where's your mom?"

             "I don't know. She said she was going to go get the mail and she hasn't been back yet."

             "How long ago did she leave?"

             "Um, maybe ten minute ago," AJ says sniffling. "There's cars outside."

             "Cars?" Anthony asks confused. "What kind of cars?"

            "Police cars and an ambulance it looks like."

            "Okay, lock the door and don't answer it unless it's your mom or me okay? I'm on my way," Anthony says, taking the steps two at a time. "I know you don't want to talk to me right now, but I need to go. It's Olivia."

             Nikki doesn't hide her annoyance, rolling her eyes.

             "I think something is wrong Nikki. AJ called from her phone and sounded terrified. He said she went out to get the mail and she hasn't been back. Then he said there are police cars and an ambulance in front of the complex."

            "What? Do you think something is wrong with her?"

              "I have no idea but I'm going over there."

             "Okay, do you need me to come with you?" Nikki asks.

             "No stay here with the girls. Call my mom, she'll come over and help. I'll be home hopefully soon," he says, leaning down and kissing her forehead.

            The whole ten-minute drive to Olivia's apartment is nothing but pure agony. A couple of times he lets his foot off the gas pedal, realizing his speed is accelerating a few times. Turning on her street, he accelerates down the road to the red, blue and white illuminating the sky. The ambulance racing off, sirens blaring. Pulling up on the side of the street and getting out, Anthony quickly walks to the crowd of people.

             "What's going on Officer?" Anthony asks.

             "Possible overdose," he answers. "That man over there is being arrested for questioning," the officer says, pointing over to the junkie in handcuffs.

             "Who...who was just taken away in the ambulance?" Anthony asks.

             "A woman, blonde, neighbors said she lives in apartment 3C."

             Anthony swallows hard, looking over at the man in handcuffs as Anthony begins to push through the crowd. He balls the man's shirt in his fists, immediately police begin to pry him off.

             "What the hell were you thinking?!" Anthony yells at the guy, people looking over. "She has a damn kid!" Anthony shouts.

             "Get off me!" the man yells back. "I didn't know she had a kid."

              "Back off sir," the police officer says, pushing Anthony away.

            "AJ..." Anthony says softly. "I need to go up to her apartment. My son is in there scared to death."

             The cop nods and gives him the okay.

              Anthony gets to the door and knocks. "AJ, it's dad. Open the door," he knocks a few more times.

            The door opens and AJ looks out. "Dad?" he runs to Anthony, jumping in his arms and hugging him tightly.

             "Are you okay?" Anthony asks, hugging him tight.

             "Where's mom?"

              That question breaking his heart. "How about we pack you a bag and I'll take you home with me, and you can see Nikki, Ally, and Aubree? How does that sound?"

              AJ nods his head.