Chapter 2

AMELIA

I walk home from work. The only good thing about my shitty apartment is that it's close to work. I don't need a car to transport me and there's a grocery store on the way home where I can buy my food. There's also a library not far from here. 

I have one friend left here from college. I didn't have many friends then either and me and Caroline lost contact when I moved, but when she found out I was moving back, she contacted me. She's a realtor and is busy most of the time. She's also single and tries to get me to go out more, but since everything that happened with Victor, I've been even more unsocial. We grab a coffee or have movie nights from time to time when she's free.

Being a realtor, she does not approve of my apartment, but I've promised her that she can help me find a new one once I can afford it. I didn't have a bad salary at Victor's dad's company, but stupidly enough, I didn't save anything for myself since Victor had more money than needed. Since we weren't married yet and I didn't want to argue with him more than I had to, I didn't take any of the money from our 'joined account' that was actually his.

I step into my small apartment that's on the top floor of a three-story apartment building. It's old and doesn't have an elevator. It has a joined kitchen/living room and one bedroom. The kitchen is small, but enough for me. There are grease spots on the walls and one corner has a dark spot down at the floor, probably from an old water damage. This was all I could afford at the moment. My parents insisted I'd live with them until I found something nicer, but I needed to be on my own. I love my parents, but they know I need my space, peace and quiet.

The landlord is a piece of work too. I'm always early with the payments, but it's like he has to find something to complain about. He told me that I need to be quiet after 9 pm and that my neighbors had complained. I've never made a noise and know for a fact that the noise comes from the guy living next to me.

He plays music rather loud, but the landlord is too afraid to tell him. It's easier to yell at me and hope that I'll deal with it. I did once when I was really tired after work and couldn't sleep because of all the noise. I knocked on his door and asked him nicely to turn the volume down and he did. Don't know why the landlord is so afraid of him. He's got black colored hair, a few tattoos and piercings. Maybe that's why.

The next day, the volume was turned up again and I knocked on his door once again. 

"Of course, I'll turn it down," he said with a smirk, leaning at the doorpost with his arms crossed over his chest. I went back to my apartment and after 30 minutes, he turned up the volume again. I was too tired to care.

That's why I'm a bit cranky today. It's been four nights with not enough sleep. It's Monday and I'm sitting at the front desk at work, checking the online bookings, when a matte black Rolls-Royce Phantom parks outside.

A big buff guy with a black suit and an earpiece steps out from the driver's seat. He looks like some sort of bodyguard. From the back seat, a tall, even more muscular guy with a dark grey shiny suit steps out. He's got tattoos on his hands and up on his neck. He's got blue eyes and his brown hair is shorter on the sides and a little longer, combed to the side on top. He looks like a hot mob boss or something. He looks kind of evil too. He's got a sharp jawline and his eyebrows are kind of furrowed, like he looks angry all the time.

He fixes his suit jacket when he's stepped out of the car. I shrug and turn my eyes back to the computer. He's probably a rich prick, just like Victor. They step inside and the big, buff bodyguard guy walks over to me at the desk. He's not as fit as the other guy, but he's a bit taller. Not that he's not fit too, but the mob boss looking guy is all muscles.

"Mr. Amoretto," is all he says with a dark voice.

He's got some kind of accent. Italian maybe. The hot tattooed guy sits down on the leather couch in the waiting area, fiddling with his phone. I check the booking system and there is a Mr. Amoretto booked for fixing a broken taillight.