Chapter 4

AMELIA

It's Saturday and I know that my music playing neighbor will have people over and I'm not going to be able to sleep at all during the whole night. If I'm lucky, they will go to some club and take the party there, but usually he stays at his apartment with his junkie friends the whole night.

When Caroline called and wondered if I wanted to have a girls night at her place, I happily said yes. Just as long as I could sleep over and at least have one good night's sleep.

"Of course, you can," she said happily.

Before I go to her, I walk to the grocery store to refill my fridge. I don't need that much since I live alone. I like to cook, but not only for me or in my shitty kitchen. I grab a shopping basket and walk through the aisles and fill it up. I stand in line to the checkout with three people in front of me.

"Amelia," a deep voice with a thick accent says behind me and I stop in my tracks. I know that voice from somewhere. I turn around and 'evil hot tattooed guy' is standing there smiling, but looking evil with his over expensive suit and evil furrowed eyebrows.

"M... Mr. Amoretto," I say surprised, looking up at him since he's much taller than me. How does he know my full name? Everyone always calls me Lia. And why is he in this store? I hardly think he lives in this neighborhood.

'Buff bodyguard guy' is standing a few feet behind him with his arms crossed, watching us. Everyone else picks another line and seems scared of them.

"Call me Raffaele," he says with a smirk.

"Umm, ok. But I have to call you Mr. Amoretto at work. It wouldn't be professional otherwise," I say blushing a little. I don't know if Chris would care, but it doesn't feel right to call customers by their first name.

"It's your turn," he says nodding to the checkout.

"Oh!" I say turning around. I didn't even notice. I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable and hurry to put my groceries on the conveyor belt.

I'm about to pay when he steps closer to me, his chest almost touching my back. "I'll pay for that," he says to the cashier and pulls out his card.

I turn around to him. "NO! No, you can't do that," I say shaking my head, but he doesn't listen. He pays and turns his head to me with a smirk. "Why did you do that?" I ask him a little horrified.

"Because I wanted to."

I sigh. I don't know what to say to him.

"Impacchetta la spesa," [Bag her groceries,] he orders to 'buff bodyguard guy', who walks past us and bag my groceries. I just stand there awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

He holds the bag up for me and I take it, then turn to Raffaele again. "Thank you, but you didn't have to do that. I'll pay you back."

"No, mia Bella. [my beauty.] It was my pleasure."

I nod at him, trying not to look as shocked as I am, turn around and quickly walk home. When I step inside my apartment and lock the door, sit down on the floor with my back against the door and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. What the hell was that?

After a while, I remember I have to put the groceries in the fridge. I stand up and walk to the kitchen, but can't stop thinking about the strange encounter. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. He just wanted to be nice to me since I work at CM garage where he is a customer. That must be it. It's just that he's so intimidating. I guess he's not used to taking 'no' as an answer. His whole demeanor screams power. Victor looked kind of powerful too with his expensive suits and 'my daddy is the boss and I'm taking over' attitude, but there's something else about Raffaele. Maybe it's the fact that he speaks Italian and his thick accent sounds like he comes straight from a mob movie.