t w e n t y o n e

It is so small a thing to have enjoyed the sun, to have lived light in the spring, to have loved, to have thought, to have done

It is so small a thing to have enjoyed the sun, to have lived light in the spring, to have loved, to have thought, to have done..?
The Hymn of Empedocles by Matthew Arnold

Harry was the first one to wake up on that Sunday morning. He found Avery lying almost diagonally in the bed with her legs tangled
with his, her head resting softly on his chest, and his arm clutched tightly to her chest. If he had his camera he would have taken a picture. He loved taking photos of his life to later look back on, no matter how ridiculous or mundane they were. Waking up in rainy London next to someone close to you was subject enough to be captured by a camera. A familiar sound brought him back to reality, his phone was ringing somewhere and he remembered placing it on the kitchen counter last night.

With a groan and a sigh he got out of bed, quietly closing the bedroom door behind him to retrieve his phone. Francis' name greeted him as he looked at the display.

"Hello" Harry murmured, his voice still groggy.

"Harry! Where the fuck are you?" There was a lot of noise in the background, music and the sound of cutlery and pots.
"I think the question is what the fuck are you doing? It sounds like you're at the film set of Ratatouille"

"Very funny. I am back at our flat, we're having a party tonight so I am preparing the snacks and cleaning the dishes, cause you clearly don't do that."

"I always do the dishes."

"There were eight cereal bowls in your room." Francis exclaimed and he could hear a pan drop on the floor, erupting a horrible
Sound that made him take the phone away from his ear. "Anyways, where are you?"

He hadn't told Francis of Avery because, truly, he had yet found the time or opportunity to do so. "Uhm... at a friends house... why are we having a party exactly?"

"To celebrate life!" Francis shouted with excitement, Harry followed that with a sigh, closing his eyes in the process and leaning against the kitchen counter of Avery's flat. Every six months, Francis liked to portrait his life as fabulous, entertaining, and envious as he could. Throwing big parties was his ticket into doing so in, what he thought, to be the most effective way possible. Francis was nowhere near a party person but he wanted to be seen as one.His everyday lie was the very definition of dull, so why not throw yourself out there for the very sake of doing so.

"Francis, you know that you-"

"I want to, Harry, so let me have this, okay?" He interrupted. "Also if you don't want to tell me your whereabouts, at least buy some
vodka on your way home and bring some people. The more the merrier." He didn't give Harry any chance to protest before hanging up the phone.

"The more the merrier" He repeated, reaching for his wallet and frowning as he studied its contents. With what he had, he knew he would barely be able to get a single bottle. Harry's head jerked up slightly, he could hear something in the living room. From where he stood, he could see the full expanse of Avery's living room, his eyes immediately falling to the bottom of the balcony door. Oliver was tapping his paw against it insistently, begging to be let inside. Harry made his way over, opening it for him and crouching down next to the grey toned cat.