french problems

January 21, 1994

I was really excited when the delegates from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang showed up on Halloween Eve. The festive aura of pumpkins and ghost stories and whatnot combined with the excitement of the arrival of the French and the people from the North— a perfect match. Never could I have imagined that one of the schools would even choose to sit with us Ravenclaws! 

The feast, thankfully, went smoothly. Names were exchanged, hospitality was provided and Hogwarts did not humiliate itself in front of our guests. Though I gotta admit, us singing "Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts" was less impressive than the entrances of the other two schools, I never felt more proud being a Hogwarts Student. 

To know that your school was hosting a legendary tournament that had not been hosted since a century was a pretty big feat in itself, and being a part of one of the houses that seated the foreigners was even more magneficient. 

Though most of the Beauxbatons students were grumpy and unsatisfied with Hogwarts' hospitality, a few were astounded and thrilled too. These were the people us Ravenclaws talked with during the feast. Gabrielle Delacour, an 8 year old Beauxbatons, who, for a reason unknown to me, had also came all the way from France to Scotland, was one of them. 

She was lively and spoke almost each sentence with an excited giggle, and to say that she was bewildered by Hogwarts was an understatement. The way she dreamily looked at the ceiling of the Great Hall, or how she was amazed by the fact that there was a giant squid in the great lake showed that atleast she was enjoying her visit to Hogwarts, despite the fact that her older sister Fleur Delacour remained sulky throughout the feast. 

Okay, enough talking about the past, now proceeding towards the present:

You'd say that to maintain their status and dignity of their school, the Beauxbatons would stay in order and try not to cause havoc? Well, I thought that too until recently. A few weeks after Fleaur Delacour was chosen as the champion from Beauxbatons, the other students started getting bored. 

Us Hogwarts students had studying to do and regular schedules to maintain, the Durmstrangs had Quidditch to practice and their bodies to make, so all those were left were the Beauxbatons blokes. They did go down to Hogsmeade frequently, read occasionally, but mostly they had nothing much to do. 

So they started investing their time in drafting mastermind pranks. 

They'd go down to Hogsmeade and buy all kinds of prank-items from Zonko's, and with the brains they had, remake those products into something five-times more destructive. Being the sort of house that wouldn't really go ranting about small things, they mostly played their pranks on us Ravenclaws, so not many from the other houses knew about this. 

Usually their pranks were minor, but one day they replaced Snape's cloak with a sort of cape filled with bubotuber pus. I have no idea how they managed to do that, but i can say, that prank was one of the best ones I've seen in my time at Hogwrats, and I doubted that it could even top the Weasley Twins' pranks. According to what I heard, the cloak could burst at any time, and most fortunately, it decided to burst during sixth-year Ravenclaw's potion class. 

Snape looked as if he was gonna blow out, and then he did. He shouted at us for the remainder of the class, gave the whole Ravenclaw sixth-year students a week full of detention, and then finally took fifty points from Ravenclaw.

All because of some havoc-inflicting French people.