fun night in the common room

July one, 1995

It was evident to say that the Ravenclaws were studying like crazy during the end-of-year examinations in June. You wouldn't step into the common room without finding at least one Ravenclaw occupying a whole table to themselves, their heads buried in a textbook and in addition to that, countless textbooks piled up on the table.

You would say I'm exaggerating, even for a Ravenclaw, but hey, Hogwarts examinations are tough. I myself didn't have time to write another diary entry with all the NEWTs on my head, therefore the long break.

When the end-of-year examinations ended, it seemed as if a stinking smell unknown to us before had floated away from the common room. Everyone was in the mood to relax (and why not), but us seventh years were a bit gloomy as it was our last and final night in this castle we called home.

Then Marcus Belby came up with a genius idea. He proposed that all we Ravenclaw seventh years do a sleepover in the common room. It sounded like a good plan to me. Maybe Marcus isn't the idiot everyone thinks he is.

This idea got a successful reaction from all of the fifteen seventh-year Ravenclaws. The plan for the sleepover was discussed, and we got into action.

Marcus and a few of his friends sneaked into the kitchens and returned with piles upon piles of appetizing delicacies. On the other hand, some other students were busy producing sleeping bags for everyone. They even asked everyone what their favorite colour was, and customized the sleeping bags according to that. Lovely.

Meanwhile, I and my friends went to Hogsmeade to borrow a classic music player from somewhere. A sleepover's gotta have music, right? I know technology doesn't work in Hogwarts, but classic low-frequency instruments work well enough when the magic in the air is exceptionally low. And since the castle is asleep at night and no one's doing any magic, the music player should work acceptably.

The last group of students were supposed to come with us to Hogsmeade to arrange for a vintage mini film projector, but they couldn't find one, so they apparated to Diagon Alley to get it. I have to admit I was stunned at their efforts. A couple of Hogwarts students roaming around Diagon Alley asking for a film projector during the school year? Perfectly normal.

Anyways, finally when all was said and done, the night drew in.

We wanted to make it so that no one other than us fifteen partners-in-crime could intervene our sleepover, so we placed a simple charm, that if anyone except us fifteen came in the common room, they would just go back to sleep in their dormitories. Next to maintain the silence of the castle; we placed a silencing charm around the room.

I have to admit, it was funny seeing all my fellow mates in colorful bunny slippers and fluffy pyjamas. Once everyone was assembled for the sleepover, we wasted no time in blasting music on a very high volume. We played different types of music from Celestina Warbeck to the Weird Sisters, and everyone enjoyed it.

Next, when everyone was content of dancing (and sitting on the couch not dancing), we decided to watch a movie. We decided to watch the best time travel movie ever made— Back to the Future—while munching on chocolate frogs, licorice wands, pumpkin pasties, and other treats Marcus and his friends stole from the kitchens.

By the time the movie finished, it was late into the night—or early in the morning for that fact— and almost all the snacks had been consumed. Three Ravenclaws were sleeping clumsily on one of the couches, one of them drooling all over his clothes.

We levitated them into their sleeping bags to make space for the rest of us on the couch.

We all listened to music a little while longer, me drooping like a zombie in my sleeping bag, until we all officially decided to call it a night, 'cause if we hoped of getting on the Hogwarts Express on time tomorrow and go back home, we needed to wake up on time.

We lifted all the enchantments from the room and kept away the music system and the film projector—we would return them tomorrow— and went to sleep.

Turns out despite sleeping a little earlier than anticipated, I still woke up just in time to pack my trunk, participate in the official Hogwarts Graduation, and get aboard the Hogwarts Express. I couldn't go to sleep again, so here I am, writing last night's experience, peacefully minding my own business in one of the train compartments.

Even though the sleepover lasted for only about four hours, I still enjoyed my last night at Hogwarts.