Chapter Three

"Oh, where'd you get this piece?"

Derek glanced up from his phone, seeing his friend look at the painting on the wall.

Ah.

He got that at the art gala.

Something about it spoke to him.

It was a small shop lit in wonderful bright hues, surrounded by the large cityscape that was in full shades of black and grey. White lights peeked from buildings and off reflected windows, creating a stunning piece.

His friend in question was a guy around his age, who had actually gotten married ten years back in his twenties. A country boy from his home town.

Sandy blond hair, freckles all over and warm honey brown eyes.

Good ol' John Newt.

"At the art gala I went to. I honestly can't remember who the artist is."

His friend looked at him skeptically, "can you remember any of that night?"

"Of course!" Derek assured. "Just not much."

John sighed heavily, "did you pick up another girl?"

"No! I didn't even go all the way with this guy. It was his first time so we didn't do anything."

John was about to ridicule his friend when he picked up on the pronouns, "he?"

Shit.

"I think I'm bisexual."

"It's a weird time to realize that," John said, carefully, as to not be rude.

"I know. Recently, I saw this coffee barista and he was the cutest thing I've ever seen and I thought I was just admiring like straight men do, thinking I thought he was an interesting person. Then the gala happened and I fall into bed with another man."

"You didn't go all the way though," he reminded his friend.

Derek shrugged, "I still wanted to sleep with him after getting him naked. We just never went that far."

John took that in and just decided to roll with it, "did you get his number?"

"Oh, no. He was gone when I woke up. There was money for the room and a note saying goodbye," Derek admitted.

"Just gone, didn't say anything?"

"He never had sex before and was scared to have it since he was afraid he would be to drink to remember. My guess is he forgot and panicked when he woke up. I'd freak out too."

"Alright, that's fair." He looked at the painting again, "well, if he was at the gala, maybe you'll meet him again."

Derek chuckled, "maybe. I'm not going to lose my mind over it if I don't."

John didn't look like he believed him, but he accepted the answer as it was. His friend wasn't going to be honest anytime soon.

"What did you come to talk about by the way?"

The question reminded John why he was there, "ah. Ellen and I are expecting."

"Really, that's great! Congrats!" Derek cheered.

His friend smiled at that, "thank you. Along with that... we actually plan to move back home. Well, closer to home."

The smile melted right off Derek's face, "you're leaving New York."

"You know better than anyone that raising kids in New York isn't the safest idea. Not with my wife's background."

"I-" he was right. "When do you plan on leaving?"