Chapter Four

Not too long after the gala, Jason checked his finances to see if any of his pieces were sold.

Then had to call his handler because there was no way they sold for as much as they did.

"A man at the gala bought it at a very high price. Others got intrigued and tried to match him. So all your pieces sold really well."

"No kidding?"

The woman on the phone hummed happily, "we're actually holding another gala in about a month, if you have any pieces we'd love to display them!"

"I-I'd be honored! I actually have seven new pieces."

"Really? Then I'll be over soon to appraise them for you!"

"I- o-okay!?"

And just like that, his handler was back in his apartment. Well, appraiser, but she helped get him into the gala in the first place.

If he were straight, he'd probably fall in love with her. Coiled black hair, full lips, eyes like deep wooded forests, the bark of a redwood. And was a storm brewing, and is Jason had to guess, she led most of her relationships.

"It's barely been a few days, how did you already make so many?"

Jason shrugged, not wanting to admit he made the collection literally a day after the last gala.

"Either way, I love the apparent story you have, what inspired it?"

"I- I got laid?"

Her face shifted and she looked at the paintings again, then back at Jason. "Are these of the gala?"

"Yeah. I actually can't remember much of it, but I'd tarted painting and-"

"Honey, you are gifted. Knowing the story, I can see each brush stroke, I can see how you felt as you danced and moved the night away. Any onlooker will see what you intended, and it's beautiful."

"Thank you. I really wish I remember the guy I painted though."

She smiled a bit at that, "well, if he was at that gala, he'll probably be at the next. If he inspired something as beautiful as this... I do hope you two can find each other again."

Jason knew he didn't need that man to be happy, but every time he tried to recall that night, he got so unbelievably happy, even when nothing returned.

How could someone leave such a lasting impact while leaving nothing at all?

And thinking of the whole thing, he didn't need his job anymore, especially with the new income.

So after his appraiser left, he called up his workplace and told them he planned on quitting. They asked if he wanted to work any more shifts. If nothing, he'd be free to go. He apologized for leaving them suddenly and even offered to not take his last pay, but the couple who ran it insisted he be able to go without issue.

And he was free to do his art.

"There's another gala next month?" Derek asked.

Kelly nodded, looking at her tablet as she stood in front of his desk. "This one is to raise awareness for LGBT+ issues and seeing as our company has never made obvious statements on our stance, this is the time to choose."

"Of course I support the LGBT+ community," Derek assured.

She hummed out in acknowledgment, typing away at the tablet. "Wonderful. Then you'll be going. It would look good to release a statement about your support, as well as buying a few pieces while there."

"Shouldn't it be more about supporting LGBT+ people then looking good?"

"I see you're opinionated on the subject. Well, most cisgendered straight men don't outwardly show support for the community."

There was a lot to take in with that bold declaration, and not enough time. "Kelly, no one should ever pretend to support something to look good. It should be because they genuinely believe in it, want to show they do, because they're proud to support it."

"So you say..."

"In fact, get my checkbook, I'm making a donation."

She looked befuddled at the command. "What for sure?"

"I'm making a check out to the Trevor project, and LGBT+ organization. I want people to know that they are safe here. And I won't tolerate any ignorance or harassment here."

"That's a bold claim sir," she said and she fetched his checkbook. "We have a lot of employees, how will you enforce it?"

"You'll see."

The donation and a huge change in company policy caught some news outlets eyes, wondering why a bug shot CEO was suddenly overeager to support the LGBT+ community.

Surprisingly no one was guessing the truth, his bisexual awakening.

Who would.

He was known for his playboy ways. Though his lack of recent partners should've been interesting. No one really seemed to notice though.

Jason was working on more pieces, these weren't as personal as the previous collection, but more about being LGBT+. As soon as he heard what the gala was promoting, he was super happy to be a part of it.

He wanted to show the variety his art took and made a few paintings in each style, it consumed his every day.

Ethan dropped by every now and then, supporting him and making sure he wasn't gonna die. Mostly by dragging him out to get his to eat real food.

And the days went by for Derek and Jason.

Derek was reforming his company to properly set in place his new policies while prepping for the event.

And Jason simply just let himself get lost in the work.

Gradually, the pair both let the other slip from their mind. It was temporary, but they didn't know that as they let every day be another day.

And Jason's second collection was "the alphabet mafia." A play in a trend where each painting outlines a particular letter in the acronym's struggle.

Issues about being gay, lesbian, trans (ftm, mtf, Afab, amab, gender fluid, non-binary,etc), asexual, Poly sexual, bisexual, pansexual, aromantic, and so on. He made sure to incorporate as many people as he could, wanting to make a very welcoming piece.

It was his community, he'd stand by it.