Chapter 4

Note: A couple of things - fair warning, this chapter ends a bit abruptly, but I had to get on to the next scene. Anyway, don't forget to comment and vote! Enjoy ❤️❤️❤️

-

Diana POV (continued)

"How did you know?" I asked once we reached the backyard. Sybil lifted an eyebrow at my question. "That I was a fury? Even I didn't know until a few days ago."

"Believe it or not, you're not the first siren to...evolve," she answered cryptically. "My bet was on a valkyrie--"

"Valkyrie?" I gasped.

"Valkyrie, fury, harpy - the evolution of a turned siren is a lottery really," she stated. I waited for her to go into further detail, but she simply studied my expression as I took in the information.

"What made you think I'd turn into a valkyrie?" I asked, finally.

"You're a warrior, Diana. You always have been. It's why your mother named you after the Amazonian princess," she said with a smirk as a wave of nostalgia washed over her expression. "But a fury...you must've had a some seriously dark thoughts circling in that adorable little skull of yours when you turned. That's actually why I wanted to talk to you." She took a deep breath and sighed, pulling my hands in hers. "Your power is starting to take control again, Diana--"

"How do you know that?" I asked, jerking my hands from hers. I was sure I'd been careful not to expose anything and while Sybil had been hovering for the full week since my evolution, it didn't seem like she'd really been paying attention to me. Clearly, she was stealthier than I gave her credit for.

"Siren power radiates and it's been fluctuating for days now. Of course, different beings respond to different frequencies, so your sisters and the vamps you surround yourself with remained oblivious," she explained. "Memphis wasn't lying when he said your power could overtake you. He was exaggerating the bit about you running to him for help, but you have to get your power under control."

"How?" I asked, my heart thudding heavy against my ribs as anxiety spilled over me. "I've tried meditating, keeping a journal, calming spells. Nothing is working."

"You're avoiding the problem, Diana. None of that is going to work if you haven't faced what's really eating at you. So, let's have it," she ordered, waving her hand about. 

"You expect me to just spill my deepest and darkest to you, my estranged aunt who, up until literally a week ago, I had never physically seen with my own eyes?" I snorted, incredulously. 

She crossed her arms over her chest and sighed. "Sometimes it's easier to spill your guts to a stranger," she shrugged. "But fine, tell your sisters what's really happening, then. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you--"

"Bonnie and Rebekah almost died breaking me from the Harrow's Slumber," I snapped. "They've helped enough."

She stood silent for a moment, her eyes scrutinizing my face before her expression turned blank again. "Okay, so how about your immortal boy-toy trio?" she challenged.

"You're not serious," I scoffed. 

"Who do you confide in, Diana?" she asked, her voice growing soft with a sentiment I wasn't familiar. "There must be someone," she added, pleading clear in her voice.

"I...don't. I don't confide in anyone," I admitted. "I learned to stop doing that long ago."

Sybil shifted on her feet uncomfortably. "Diana, you have to know...your mother made the best choice she could for you - for both of you--"