Chapter 13 Teaser

Vote and comment
-

I blew out a sigh, fidgeting my fingers as Kai finished his chant, and fought the urge to tap my feet impatiently. I stifled a yawn as I leaned against kitchen counter and lowered my gaze to the floor. The sting of no longer having witch magic resurfaced in my chest and for a moment, I allowed the sullen feeling to fester before my fury magic buzzed to life under Kai's heavy gaze. I quickly stood straight and crossed my arms across my chest. "A-any luck?" I stammered.

"Yeah, actually. They're holed up in Mystic Falls, perfectly safe." His words were casual, but his eyes held a serious glint that made me uneasy. "They're staying put until Damon and Elijah get back with more info about this...plague."

"Right...okay, I guess that's a good thing. But they must have a phone or something, right? Does the landline still work here?" I stepped further into the kitchen and retrieved the old wireless phone from its retriever. There was no dial tone as I placed it to my ear.

"Yeah, no. Pretty sure that thing hasn't worked for much longer than ten years," he said with a slight chuckle. I sighed and placed it back, turning to face Kai. He noticed the uneasy pout on my face and smirked. "Relax, we had some phones ordered. They'll be here in a couple days...maybe. Something's up with the postal system, though, so it could be longer."

"Great, so I can't even talk to my sisters now," I huffed. If I was still a witch, I'd at least be able to reach them through our psychic link. That same sullen feeling returned to my chest, like a weight of pure despair. Something was off. Maybe it was the accidental visit with my monstrosity of a father dragging up old traumas, but my emotions were definitely more sensitive and my thoughts less controlled. Had I fallen further into my identity as a fury now? Would I really never be a witch again?

My thoughts kept me oblivious to Kai's attention and the fact that he was quickly closing the distance between us until he gripped my waist, startling me. "Someone's jumpy," he smirked, but they was clear concern in his eyes.

"I know, I'm just...I don't wanna talk about it. I'm fine," I huffed.

"Now that I have my memories back, I distinctly remember something about buildings catching fire when you bottle things up," he challenged, his gaze piercing through me in an unnatural way. "Since this is the only safe haven we have right now, I'm thinking a little chat is in order."

"I'm not going to lose control, Kai," I hissed, feeling frustration creep up in my bones as his insinuation. "I know my limits."

"Hmm...is that so? Then why are your eyes shifting right now?" he questioned.

"What?" I blinked, rushing to the bathroom to see for myself. White pupils stared back with deep red veins rising to the surface of the skin around my eyes. It reminded me of Damon and Elijah whenever they vamped out. "What the hell...?" I whispered to myself. I leaned against the sink, looking closer at my reflection, confused when I felt hot liquid beneath my fingers. I looked down to see my hands slowly morphing into black fury claws, melting the sink cabinet under them.

-