Chapter Fourteen

"Are you sure you're well enough to leave the Evian girl behind?" Shkeesha placed a cover on top of his shoulders as he leaned on his knees, sweat dripping from his temple.

"There's only one way to find out, Skee Ball." He forced his foot forward, letting the cover fall to the ground. "If I can endure the pain, it might break at least the distance barrier on this thing."

Shkeesha ran in front of him and shrouded his view by wrapping her arms around his neck. "It'll wear off on its own, trust me." She laid her head on top of his. "I don't want you to go."

One of his heart chambers stung his insides, sending shockwaves through his veins. He howled, doubling over in her arms. She held him up by his elbows, struggling to catch her breath.

"You're lucky I took extensive nursing classes." She gave a scornful smirk before setting him down gently on the sidewalk.

He cried, holding his hand out to reach her face. His vision was blurring into white light.

She reached into his satchel and pulled out a water bottle to bring to his lips. "They won't let you die." Her eyes widened with a cold, dense expression. "I know they won't let you."

He limped his head to the side, his heartbeat significantly lowering.

Her mouth dropped. "Leviathan! Leviathan!"

A crowd began to gather outside the bus station.

She rubbed a thumb against his cold lips. Her resolve breaking beneath her. "Leviathan!" Her chest heaved with every breath as she rushed to perform CPR, ripping away his shirt from his chest, and rhythmically exchanging her breath into his.

"They won't let you die," she muttered as an ambulance pulled up, their sirens blurring her vision.

It was three o'clock. School had let out. Marty walked confidently in the hallway, smiling brightly. Students were milling about, rushing to their bus and rides home. She made her way to her locker to put away her books and retrieve an after-school bag that she so meticulously prepared.

"Hey." A raspy, small voice jeered behind her.

Marty turned. "Oh, Rosie! It's you. Listen, thanks for earlier. I –" she pulled her bag over her shoulders.

Rosie scoffed. "You seem better, so was it –" She brandished her hands, hoping for an adequate answer.

"I think it was...the Mark." She smiled. "That's what we call it, and it gets triggered physically by a strong amount of distance."

"So, if it's distance-based, then your bonded fellow should be close by." She rounded her head, looking around the corner.

"No, no!" she placed a hand on the shorter girl's shoulder, pushing her back. "He shouldn't be around here. I told him to stay away."

Daniel approached and wrapped his arm around his girlfriend's back. "Who? Me?" He grinned and planted a kiss on top of her forehead.

Rosie bit her lip and took a few steps back. "Well, I'm glad you're feeling better."

"Yeah, what was wrong earlier? You've been getting sick a lot lately."

Marty bounced on the balls of her feet. "The holiday just messed me up, and I guess my immune system is weaker?"

Rosie rummaged through her tattered book bag, patches falling off. "My great-grandma has this old family recipe for a tea that calms down the stomach. I mean, that's what my family says, but I say they ward off supernatural spirits." She winked as she handed Marty a prepackaged tea bag.

The Devil's Tail - The Devil Chronicles Book One - ROUGH DRAFTजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें