seventeen

-:- House of Hazards / House of Charades -:-

The morning after the play I went down to breakfast with the rest of Sibuna, aside from Patricia. We figured she was still sleeping after being with Rufus and Joy last night. I made myself a coffee but skipped on the food, I'd eaten enough cookies last night that I wasn't hungry. Jerome, Alfie, and I had been camped in the kitchen until past midnight snacking. I smiled to myself as I sat across from Fabian, who was talking enthusiastically about the play.

"The look on Victor's face last night was all the confirmation we needed," he smiled.

"Yeah, but now he knows that we know, and we didn't really have much of a plan after that," Nina reminded him.

"He doesn't know we have the pieces," I pointed out. "We're still in the clear there."

"Exactly," Fabian agreed.

My attention shifted when Mara walked into the dining room, eyes were swollen and her shoulders sagged. Clearly, her conversation with Mick and Mr. Sweet hadn't gone well.

"Have any of you seen Patricia?" She asked lowly.

"Didn't she come home last night?" Nina responded.

"No, Trudy said she'd gone out with her Aunt and Uncle after the play," Mara explained. "But I thought she'd be back by now.

"Are you alright, Mara?" Fabian gave her a once over.

"No," she cried. "I need to talk to Patricia."

"You can talk to me," I said to her.

She considered my offer, but when Amber walked up beside her she shook her head instantly.

"No, I can't," she sighed, leaving the room abruptly.

"Trouble in paradise?" Amber asked in an almost taunting voice.

"Sorry?" Fabian asked.

"Her and Mick," Amber took the seat next to me. "They were girlfriend and boyfriend for all of one hour, and then they broke up."

I debated telling them the details I knew but decided against it when I considered Amber's near-vindictive attitude.

"Why?" Nina questioned.

"Who knows," Amber rolled her eyes and returned to her breakfast.

"We should try and call Patricia," I changed the topic.

"Where do you think she is?" Nina wondered aloud.

"Hopefully, with Joy and not with Rufus," Fabian offered.

"I thought he was one of the good guys?" Amber asked. "Okay, it's impossible to keep track, we need a newsletter."

"I hope she's okay," Nina mumbled, ignoring Amber's comment.