two

-:- House of Dares / House of Lies -:- 

When Nina and I sat down for breakfast the next morning, I could tell that Patricia had been making fun of Nina minutes beforehand. Nina and I weren't very close, but Patricia was seriously starting to get on my nerves. Nina sat at the head of the table, directly across from Patricia, and I chose to sit next to Fabian, the nicest one of them. On the other side of me was Alfie, and across from me was Jerome, whose hair seemed like it had gotten taller since yesterday.

"Sleep well, Nina?" Patricia mocked, followed by bird sounds.

"Ignore them," Fabian said to Nina.

"I am," I heard her reply as I grabbed a piece of toast.

"So what was this dream anyways?" He probed.

"It was awful, and I know they're making jokes but it felt so—" her voice trailed off.

"Real?" I offered.

Nina eyed me. "You had it too?"

I nodded.

"Wait, you two had the same dream?" Fabian asked us.

"It happens sometimes," Nina told him.

"It's a twin thing, I guess," I said with a shrug before returning to my breakfast.

"The dream though," Nina returned to the original topic. "It felt evil."

A moment later, Amber came through the doorway.

"Anyone seen Mara?" She asked. "She's got my hair straightener."

"Yeah," Fabian answered. "She's with Mick in our room."

"What?!"

"Uh-oh," Jerome spoke up. "Green-eyed monster alert."

"I'm not jealous," Amber lied as she sat down across from Fabian. "Why would I be jealous? What's there to be jealous of?"

"She's just helping him with homework," Fabian explained. "That's all."

"Yeah, I know all about that, and it's cool. I would help him, but I'm just so busy." Amber finished by flipping her hair over her shoulder. This lead to Jerome mockingly doing the same, which actually made me smile.

"I see you haven't sneaked out at the crack of dawn today," Amber said to Nina.

"Wow," Nina exclaimed. "Everyone really does keep tabs on everyone else around here, don't they?"

"Fabian said you'd gone into school early, but then you didn't turn up at first class." Amber continued.

"Nina was helping an old lady across the road, literally," Trudy intervened. "We had a surprise visitor from the old people's home."