Chapter 4 - The River Flows South

The next morning crawled upon the two adventurers much faster than (Y/N) would have appreciated. It appeared Link felt the same, as they both awoke with plenty of yawning and grunting. The sun crept over the hills slowly, light from the dew covered field refracting onto their tired bodies. Sunflower and Epona grazed quietly a few meters apart, minding their business as the birds of Hyrule began to sing softly. (Y/N) stretched their arms above their head, shaking slightly as the tension built in their shoulders through the night dissipated. Link  silently looked through his supplies, making sure his newly cooked bottles of soup were secured before returning them to their storage in Epona's saddlebag.

(Y/N) and Link managed to cover more ground than expected the previous night, not stopping their journey until they'd reached about three quarters of their way to Zora's domain. The ride was mostly silent, save from Link pointing out any bumps in the road, or fending off any Lizalfos or Deku Babas that attempted to impede their journey. Link took care of the fighting, much to (Y/N)'s agitation. They weren't able to make use of anything other than their guitar, and their confidence with the bow was beginning to waver as they hadn't been able to practice since the journey began. But (Y/N) dared not to speak up. Link was a hero, war torn and probably traumatised. If he wanted to deal with the beasts his own way, then so be it. 

(Y/N) approached Sunflower to begin their next days journey, fearless in their handling of the horse. Although Sunny's attitude had major issues, it appeared each and every second that she began to trust (Y/N) more. The bucking had completely stopped, but it was difficult to keep her on the path without her swaying the reins out of (Y/N)'s grip. This was the least of (Y/N)'s worries. As they got nearer and nearer to Zora's domain, the impending thought of continuity disrupted their thoughts. Now that they were only a half days journey away, (Y/N)'s anxiety was beginning to bubble over. Had they been to Zora's domain before? Would the Zoras remember them, and if so, how did they behave when they'd been there in the past? 

"What are you staring off for?" Link remarked, snapping (Y/N) out of their temporary trance. They were quick to react, busying themself with tightening Sunflower's saddle. 

"Nothing, just slow to wake up. We need to get moving." (Y/N) responded gruffly, sticking their foot into the stirrup and hoisting themself up quickly. Sunflower shuffled her feet briefly before standing her ground, enabling (Y/N) to look down on Link. "If we leave now we should be there by noon."

"Roger that," Link sighed, running up to Epona's side before mounting her hastily. He started off onto the rocky path ahead, (Y/N) following his lead swiftly. Silence covered the two once again, creating an uncomfortable tension accompanied by the fast clicking of the horses' hooves. (Y/N) couldn't help but feel that Link found them unsuited for this uncharted adventure. They imagined that Link viewed them as some irritating bard, only good for booze and old tales. Link didn't give them much of a reason to think otherwise. It was impossible to hold a conversation with him that wasn't about the Gerudo or the Sheikah. Even then, his input was brief. His demeanour was much less lively than how he'd acted at Telma's bar that very first night. He had seemed quizzical and full of wonder that evening, almost feisty with his sarcastic responses. But now that he was in action, he seemed less sociable and rather unapproachable. (Y/N) stared at the back of his head with uncertainty, the urge to have a conversation eating away at them. 

Aside from the obvious wish to inform Link and Zelda of impending doom, it would be useless to refuse the admittance of wanting to converse with the Hero. Since they were a child, he was the object of their affection. It wasn't until they'd became much older that that infatuation became more of proud fondness, as if he were some old friend off in a different country making a living for himself. However, the aspect of reality shifting brought back that admiration. Perhaps it was their subconscious striving for his affection that allowed them to make the shift.