Chapter Two

First Day Back: 1941

Charlotte had woken up before everyone else on her first day of classes. She looked around the room at her sleeping Gryffindor roommates and idly wondered why she couldn't seem to sleep as long as they could on the first day. Any other day she would be caught running to her first class of the day very late and with wet hair. Her robes would be in disarray and her breathing would be ragged. However, the first day was the only day she was ever early. Her sisters joked that it was the one day she threw all of the professors off. She shook that memory from her head before preparing to throw on something comfortable to go downstairs and read a book by the fire. It was an annual tradition that she has upheld since her first year. In fact, that was how she met Andrew Potter.

"Where is my blasted housecoat?" Charlotte hissed as she searched around her room, careful not to wake anyone.

The last person she wanted to wake was her sister, Holly. Holly would rat her out to Delilah faster than she could breathe. Sure, Holly was the innocent one unless Charlotte was involved. Charlotte still continued her search and then started to curse the fact that she may have left it at home. She shook her head and almost groaned in frustration at the fact that she packed so late but something gold caught the corner of her eye. It was a gold package that was tied with a red ribbon sitting on the window ledge. She didn't remember seeing that when she woke up. Usually, packages came with an owl but Charlotte didn't see any sign of an owl having come in. She really wanted to open it but made sure that everyone was still sound asleep before prying into the package carefully.

She carefully pulled on the ribbon, terrified that it was a well wrapped howler from her mother, and the package unwrapped itself quietly. The box fell away from a beautiful floral wrap with a red hand written letter sitting on top of it. She marveled at the blue silk fabric and the lilies, her favorite flower, graced every inch of the robe. She picked up the red letter and a smile spread over her face as she read the contents.

Pumpkin,

I hate that I'm missing your first day back to school again. My train was delayed from Germany but I know you gave your mother hell. I hate I couldn't see that. That's my girl! I've got to travel to Belgium for the Christmas holidays this year so it doesn't look like I'll be there for you girls on your break. I'll try my best to be there but the way that this war is heading, I think it's safe to say it's not over. Here's a little present from Germany, love. You be careful and make sure you get good marks this year.

Sincerely,

Dad

Charlotte smiled and immediately threw the robe on and admired its beauty in the full length mirror. It didn't cover her knees but it was the most beautiful thing she had ever put on. Surely this had cost her dad a fortune but he didn't seem to mind spending money on his daughters. Her usual curly and untamed hair had settled down into a light wave as it cascaded over her shoulders. She would have to thank Delilah for that spell a little later on when she saw her. She made sure that the robe covered up her night dress so that she could go down to the common room and read next to the fire.

For Whom the Bell Tolls had been a book that her father had given her as a present from America and she was ashamed to say that she hadn't read it yet. She decided she was going to change that since one of her favorite authors happened to be Ernest Hemingway. She tiptoed down the common room steps and saw that the fire was already ablaze but no one was in sight. At least, that's what she assumed. The moment her toes hit the cold stone floor someone cleared their throat and scared her almost clear out of her skin.

"I knew you'd be making your way down here sooner or later,"

A rather husky voice called from a small table that was tucked over by one of the bookcases. The small table was located underneath the lone window that nestled under the staircase. You would miss it if you didn't already know it was there.