01

"Lillian Linton! Come down here right now!" I heard my aunt screech from downstairs. Sighing, I stepped down the stairs to the first landing, dragging my feet slowly to not have to reach that harpy too soon.

"Yes?" I said, once I reached her.

"What are you 'yes'-ing about? We have a ball tonight? Did you forget?! Dress into your ball gown and be down here in 10 minutes maximum!" she shouted.

A ball? Tonight? I seemed to be getting invited to a lot of balls recently. I wondered how I would escape this one...

"Don't look at me like that, young lady! I know what you're planning in that insolent head of yours! I don't care if I have to drag you into that ball, but you will be there!"

Rolling my eyes, I admitted my defeat and went back into the bedroom. Ella was already in her ball gown, and when she saw me she brightened.

"A ball! A ball, Lilly!" she exclaimed. "It's going to be my third ball after that one where..." she blushed a bit. She always blushed, so I didn't really pay much attention to it. "...Edmund and me.. d-danced."

I smiled at the memory. Even though he was a tad too emotional and cheesy, I knew he was a good man at heart.

I went to my closet, which consisted of two dresses, one of them my ball gown. Sighing, I pulled the multitude of infernal petticoats over my head. I had gotten a lot better at putting dresses on - something I don't think anybody noticed.

Ella looked innocently beautiful, as always. Her golden hair, shining in the afternoon sun, looked even better with the white ribbons styled into her hair. My aunt's decent (and rushed) embroidery accented the simple dress she wore. She was the epitome of innocence and beauty - the ideal wife for a man.

My inner feminist scoffed at the idea of marriage - who would want to belong to a man for the rest of their life? I wouldn't marry as long as I lived, I promised myself.

"Lillian! Ella! Why are you taking so long?! Get down here, pronto!" The vengeful harpy screeched.

I plodded downstairs, Ella lightly skipping down after me.

Anne and Maria, my twin sisters, sniffed at me in disdain. I could see it in their eyes - the urge for revenge after that ball where I danced with Lord Dalgliesh and Mr. Ambrose. And the one after that, where I danced with Captain Carter.

I was the perfect picture of a concerned niece drawn by a blind, amateur painter. "You look upset, Anne, Maria. Are you not feeling well? You look quite green."

Turning their noses up at me, they stepped out of the house and into the carriage. I stepped in after them, Ella behind me.

Lisbeth and Gertrude were already inside; Lisbeth excited as always, even after the third ball which she spent alone looking for dance partners, and Gertrude quiet.

The coach rumbled across the streets, approaching Lady Metcalf's ball. Hers were always magnificent ( even if she herself didn't live up to the expectations) with a lot of food and solid chocolate. My mouth watering, I stared expectantly out of the window. I was at least looking forward to that.

I didn't miss the way Anne and Maria kept throwing vengeful looks at me, or how my aunt was looking at me suspiciously.

"What do you look so happy about, Lillian? I still remember that ball which you spent eating chocolate! This time, I'll make sure you dance the night away! And don't you dare say no to a single person who asks you!" she speared me with a glare. However, hers couldn't compare to Mr Ambrose's Ultimate Cold Gaze. I was used to them.