03

The walk home next to the Major is quiet. It's even worse than his self-glorifying, made-up stories - at least I could throw in embarrassing jabs then.

Now, the silence and his side glances at me were making me so unsettled I thought of running.

But what good would that do, except angering my aunt?

This guy really knew how to play his cards, I'll give him that. The things I was most afraid of were my aunt, a life bound in marriage, and being stripped of my rights as a female. As a human being.

He seemed to know. But I guess it wasn't that hard to find out...

I saw our house loom in front of me. My hands couldn't help but shake and I felt an onslaught of annoyance. Or maybe it was despair?

Did my aunt really hate me that much? To see through an obvious punch bruise, believe a complete stranger because of his status?

But, thinking back, she was always like this. I couldn't expect her to change.

But I had to do something. I couldn't just let this pass - let this complete bastard of a man get his way!

But...how?

Running away was out of the question. Even with a steady income, I didn't have enough money.

My thoughts strayed to deep, piercing blue eyes, intense conversations - and those thoughts led me to the actual man. The stone-cold, devilishly handsome miser of a man!

Tomorrow was Monday. At least at work I wouldn't have to worry about this slimy creep.

"After you, Miss Linton," he said with an innocent smile on his face, opening the door for me.

Instantly, as soon as it was open, his expression switched to concerned faster than lightning. His eyes became down turned, eyebrows knitted together, his mouth a straight, tense line.

I couldn't keep up.

My aunt would definitely believe him. After all, who wouldn't? A man with high status, a gentlemanly demeanor, and a bunch of shiny badges on his jacket - or a reckless, obviously disobedient young girl with a large bruise on her cheek?

It was a rhetorical question, if you're wondering.

"Lillian! Major Jones!" My aunt exclaimed simperingly, standing in the hallway. The sour looks of Anne and Maria lifted my mood slightly - but not enough to overcome the dread.

"Oh, Mrs Brank, a terrible incident occurred," the bastard said with a panicked tone of voice. "While we were feeding the ducks and i was telling dear Ms Linton about my escapade with the savages, she slipped and fell right on her face - it's such a horrible bruise!"

My aunt stared at it, rotating my face back and forth.

"Oh, it really is a large one," she said. "Nothing powder can't cover, though," she added.

"I was wondering if you're concerned with Ms Linton's safety - I'd completely understand if you thought I did it! I can stop coming here, if you like, but it's always such a joy to see such a beautiful girl!" the Major gave me a side glance, a smile flickering across his face for a split second.

"Oh, no, no!" My aunt hurried, her words coming out rushed. "It's absolutely fine. I'm sure it was just Lillian being clumsy."

What? She thought it was my fault? Electric anger zipped through my veins, spreading like wildfire.

"But, Aunt -!" I tried to exclaim. "He-"

"Shut your mouth," my aunt hissed. "Don't you see your stupid clumsiness almost lost you another suitor? You're so unladylike!"

That harpy! She didn't even let me explain! I stomped up the stars, listening half-heartedly to the apologies for my behavior my aunt kept spewing.

I didnt believe any of it. I don't think she did either.

I flopped on my bed, turning my head to stare at the wall.

"Lilly...?" Ellas tentative voice from the other side reached me. "Are you okay?"

"Aunt's going on another suitor rampage," I answered. I didn't tell her about the creepy ultimatum and the cornering in the shaded trees. I didn't want her to worry.

Ella laughed, the sound like the tinkling of church bells. "Ah, it's that time of season?" She asked brightly.

I lolled around the house for the rest of the day. I knew the Major was gone but I didn't feel like going outside. I was the lazy niece, after all.

At night, I finally fell asleep. Tomorrow was work. Escape.

———————
I seem to be really bad at keeping promises.
So.
I'm just going to update whenever I feel like it, which admittedly isn't very often.
I'm sorry for the colossal hiatus, really.
Angry/concerned Ambrose next chapter, yay

StoppedInTime