04 (concerned amby)

I performed my usual work ritual - wake up, flounder, change into my other persona, walk to empire house and the most daunting and fun one - annoy Mr Ambrose.

I've completed all the steps so far except the last one. I didn't bother covering the bruise since I didn't think anyone would care, but my mind kept nagging me slightly.

What about Mr Ambrose? He'd care! He has to! Im his employee!

Or something more? Shut up!

Slightly flustered, I greet Mr Stone who gives me a slightly concerned look and grab today's correspondence.

Immediately, I throw out the first 5 letters - invitations to someone's ball. Basically, things Mr Ambrose automatically considers garbage.

After yesterday's night with the Major, I am inclined to agree.

I open my door and walk into my office, and immediately hear a Plink!

Smiling slightly to myself, I grab the little tube of paper and see what's written.

Mr Linton,

You are 5 minutes and 39 seconds late to work. This time will be reduced from your paycheck.

Rikkard Ambrose

I smile slightly. For some reason, the usual chides to my lateness give me a feeling of comforting similarity.

I pick up a tube and a piece of paper and write,

Mr Ambrose,

You sound like an automated machine as always. I'm not that late. There's been an incident at home.

Yours with irritation,

Miss Lilly Linton

I continue shuffling through the letters, alternating with tossing them into the trash and onto my desk. The garbage can soon overflows with pastel invitations and letters begging for charity.

There's a silence except for the storm of my messy sorting before it's broken with a plink!

Mr Linton,

What is the incident?

Rikkard Ambrose

I smirk slightly. Mr Ambrose definitely wouldn't understand the melodrama of a manipulative suitor.

Mr Ambrose,

Are you perchance worried for me?

Miss Lilly Linton

His reply comes lightning fast.

Mr Linton,

It is nothing to do with that. If there is an incident which is impairing you're ability to arrive on time, I should like to know.

Rikkard Ambrose

My happiness breaks with a little pop. I should've known. Unless, of course, he's making up excuses - which is impossible.

Another note comes.

Mr Linton,

Let's discuss this in my office.

Rikkard Ambrose

With a slight sigh, I stand up and walk over to my cold master's office, his iciness seeming to chill even the cracks from the door. With a smirk, I walk in.

"Good morning, Mr Ambrose," I say, making eye contact. "As I said, this incident shouldn't need discussion."

I am again mesmerized by his cold beauty. The endless, dark depths of his ocean-blue eyes, his perfectly trimmed raven-black hair, his-

What am I thinking? Pull yourself together, Lilly!

Mr Ambrose looks up from his notes, and those beautiful- no, horrible- eyes flash with something similar to concern.

He's up from his desk and in front of me, imposing, commanding - in an instant. I'm pushed backwards by the force of his eyes alone as I feel the roughness of his bare walls behind me.

I try to ignore the quickly growing feeling of heat, of that oddly overwhelming sensation I feel when with him.

One slender finger brushes over my cheek. My bruised cheek, I realize, horrified.

"What is this?" he asks, his voice quiet and chilling.

And I realize the emotion in his eyes, finally. It's worry.

I grin at him. "Nothing worth the attention of your Icy Miserness, I assure you."

He ignores the jab, instead saying "Who did this to you?"

His voice is shaking slightly with barely contained rage.

I feel oddly happy at his concern. My brain screams at me that it's stupid, it's pathetic, but really - can't I be happy that at least one person cares?

But I brush it away and answer with, "Since when did you care for your employees, sir?"

His jaw clenches, as if shutting down something he wanted to say. I find myself hoping it's something refuting the fact that I'm not his employee, something more. Something that stayed trapped in cold desert nights and heated jungle embraces. Something that the cold reality of London could never allow. But that couldn't be.

Finally, he steps away as if shaking himself out of a daze. But he doesn't avert his intense gaze.

"I'll find out who did this, Mr Linton. Even if you don't tell me." he says, his tone cold. No longer concerned. Racked with defenses.

I find myself slightly sad at the loss of his body on my mine.

God, what are you thinking, Lilly? He's a devilishly handsome miserly jerk!

Ignore the devilishly handsome part, I decide.

"If you can," I shrug, grinning. I don't show how affected I am by this. I guess I do have a few defenses as well. But doesn't everyone?

I walk back into my office, making sure to sway my hips slightly. He might make me affected, but no way was he taking away my rare office entertainment!

As I thought, I hear him clear his throat slightly. Smiling mischeviously, I shut the door and continue my work.

If I pray that Mr Ambrose will find the man, and ship him off straight on the way to Satan, nobody but me knows.

------------
Hoi

Their first interaction in this fanfic! Tell me how I did.

StoppedInTime