Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"So I told him that he can't mess with me, because I would knock him down and make him wish he was never born. But that didn't work so well, and Leigh had to save my ass at the end of the day." Zayn explained and Perrie started laughing. Zayn has told this same story to a lot of the girls he meets, but he has never gotten to the part where Leigh saved him. He always portrayed himself as a badass, but with Perrie, the truth came out naturally. 

"I actually had a girl back in high school who bothered me all the time. I was alright with the jokes she made, until she started to make fun of my accent and belittling me every chance she got. At lunch time, I went over her table and poured my potato soup on top of her head. Private school was never the same for her." Perrie told Zayn and he giggled imagining a younger version of Perrie taking down bullies. 

"I am trying to imagine you in private school. With ponytails and weird headbands, scrawny little body, crooked teeth filled with braces. Is my description right?" Zayn teased and Perrie smacked his arm lightly. She grabbed her phone from the pocket on her dress and looked through her photos. "Oh gosh, you are one of those girls who has pictures of themselves when younger...that is such a turn off." He joked and Perrie stuck her tongue out. 

"Here. This is how I looked like in private school. Thake that!" Perrie said and handed the phone over to Zayn. He held onto the phone and his eyes focused on Perrie's brace-less smile, she was wearing a uniform and her hair was hanging down. Her face changed a bit, in the picture she still had some baby fat and her cheeks were a bit chubbier. Zayn couldn't stop smiling down at the photograph. 

"You look cute." He said and Perrie received the phone. She saved it and smiled back at Zayn. She loved showing people a photo of her when she was younger but with Zayn she was a bit nervous. What would be going through his head? Would he find her not attractive? She was only 16 years old in the picture, therefore she has grown up and changed a lot. Zayn's comment warmed her heart.

"I actually don't have pictures of me when I was younger so you won't get to see my great looks when I was younger." Zayn told her and Perrie smiled at him. He looked very cheeky and convinced that Perrie was going to love a picture of him younger. She would really like to look at a picture of Zayn younger. She believes he was just as good looking back then, as he is now. 

"What were your dreams when you were younger?" Perrie asked and Zayn thought about it for a minute or two. There were many things that he wanted when he was younger and he only got a couple of them to actually come true. He knew that Perrie wasn't asking to be impressed by his answer. She was truly curious about him. 

"I wanted to be a hero" Zayn answered and Perrie laughed to herself. It was so usual for guys and girls to dream of being a hero. It was such a common dream when a person is young. They believe they can save everyone. But only some of them get to be heroes. The rest of those who didn't make it, become the sidekicks. 

"You know, if it wasn't for you, I would have lost myself in that train. You were my hero Zayn. And you didn't even need a cape or a code name. Thank you." Perrie whispered holding onto Zayn's hand. He stared at her hand on top of his. How perfect they looked together. Zayn placed his other hand on top of Perrie's before talking.

"I feel the same towards you. You helped me deal with a lot that day and without you there, I would have been dead. You were my hero as well." Zayn spoke softly as he rubbed Perrie's hand. She smiled at him, as she started leaning forward slowly. Zayn was seeing the direction she was going into and tilted forward as well. 

"Zayn, I am getting tired. Please take me home." Leigh said getting inside the kitchen and Zayn pulled away quickly. Perrie did the same and both of them stared at Leigh awkwardly and somewhat embarrassed. Leigh looked at Zayn's frown and realized she walked in at the wrong time. "I'm sorry. I just really want to go home, but if you are not ready to go, I will get a taxi or something."

"No worries. Jonny can take you." Perrie intervened before Zayn could answer. She sure didn't want Zayn to go already, but she also didn't want Leigh to go home in taxi cab. Taxi drivers from the Northside, felt superior than Southside drivers. They discriminated against the people from the Southside. Perrie would blame herself if something happened to Leigh.

"He can't. He met with an old flame of his, so they are catching up right now. I don't want to ruin the fun for them." Leigh explained and Perrie's eyes roamed around the room, to see if she could find someone that could drive Leigh home.

"Alright, I will take you home." Zayn said standing up, but Perrie grabbed his wrist and pulled him down. She spotted Niall coming inside the kitchen and she quickly pointed at him. 

"Maybe Niall can take you home." Perrie suggested, and Zayn looked at Perrie, shaking his head. He didn't trust Niall to take Leigh home. Not after the way he was looking at her earlier that night. He just had a bad feeling about Niall. Maybe it was his jealousy talking.

"I don't think that's a great idea." Zayn protested and Leigh looked at Niall was just as confused as her. He turned is head around to look at Leigh, but she had already averted her eyes from him. She wouldn't bare looking at him. Her heart betrayed her whenever she looked or thought of Niall.

"Actually I don't mind. As long as she doesn't dirty my car." Niall said surprising both Zayn and Leigh. Perrie was happy to know that Niall was helping her have some alone time with Zayn. Leigh wanted to argue, but she couldn't stand in between Zayn and Perrie. 

"Fine then." Leigh gave up and Perrie clapped her hands with happiness. "See you tomorrow Zayn." Leigh had walked towards Zayn and hugged him goodbye. Perrie watched them carefully feeling a little bit bitter towards their affection, but shook that feeling off because Zayn wasn't hers to feel jealous of. 

Leigh and Niall walked away and Zayn turned around to face Perrie. "I know there is something happening between us and we do have a strong connection..." He started saying, which was making Perrie's heart flustered. "...But Leigh comes first and you need to know that. She is family and very important to me. So next time, I will drive her home." He finished off and Perrie was speechless.