Landfill

At first going to the landfill was just an excuse to get away from his house.

Hoseok's parents had been suffocating him with their non-stop pestering about college applications. He was going to be graduating by the end of the year and they were hell-bent on having one of their children go to a real college, since, although proud of his older sister for getting so far in her fashion career, she never went to a real college. Being their only other child, the suffocation that his sister escaped, now fell on him. 

So in order to escape his parents for just a few hours during the weekend, he told them that his science teacher offered his class extra credit if they could manage to make a small, functioning robot out of throw away items, in other words he inadvertently gave himself more work, and he actually had to go to a property of land full of trash that smelled worse than a pile of Mickey's poops. Plus, he'd have to bring home some of those items to make his lie believable.

But, in order to lengthen his break he decided he would make several trips in order to seal the deal. His dad had always told him that people miss a lot if they only look at something one time.

The first trip to the dump was spent just wandering around and reluctantly looking for decent looking items to stuff in his backpack, as well as regretting not bringing any wet wipes. He's always hated being dirty.

Maybe a dump wasn't the best place to come.

Maybe this whole science project excuse was just a terrible attempt at freedom from his parents grasp.

The second trip was practically the same as the first, except this time he had a pack of wet wipes with him. He was still reluctant to stuff the dirty items into his bag, that probably wouldn't ever change.  Nor would the feeling of disgust that came every time a new wave of that horrible smell abused his nose or when he had to pick up an especially dirty item.

The third trip to the landfill didn't occur until several days later, school and dance taking up too much of Hoseok's time to plan for another trip to the what he now called "Trash Land." As basic as the name was, Hoseok didn't plan on wasting his time brainstorming a more creative one. Besides, "Trash Land" described the property perfectly, it just got straight to the point.

Upon entering the property, Hoseok set out for his usual location, near the middle of the junk yard. The large pile that would occupy the area usually had decent items that have so far worked for his little bot friend. He was going call it Kai, after a middle schooler that takes interest in his dancing, a cute and nice kid, but unusually tall for his age. He thought the kid would be happy knowing his elder thought highly of him.

Today, though the items that he would opt for were still in plain sight, something else caught his attention. A figure that could be mistaken for human laid upon a pile of throw away items, the only thing that told Hoseok that the figure was indeed not a human was the lack of a forearm where several wires were instead.

Hoseok figured it wasn't uncommon for people to throw out their robots, especially since now you can get them pretty much anywhere. He'd seen robots before, of course he has, almost everyone in his family had one, with the exception of his parents.

Jiwoo had recently got one from the shops, Hoseok was happy for her. His sister had always claimed she wanted a robot of her own, not so they did the chores, but to just keep her company. Hoseok assumed she now got one especially for that reason since she now lived on her own. If he remembers correctly she had named it something along the lines of Hyejin.

Instead of focusing on the items he is supposed to be collecting, having addressed the situation with his science teacher, who seemed to have a soft spot for him and agreed to the extra credit should he be able to make a function bot out of throw away, he made his way to powered off robot.