Chapter Two: Questions

Ripley

         “Just do it, already. It’ll be fine. Stop worrying!” Miller laughed at my hesitance.

         “Shut up, Mill! I’m trying to think!” I yelled at him. He didn’t understand what a major deal this was to me.

         I’ve wanted to be a professional author since I was a little kid. No matter how bad things got I could pull out a novel and everything was okay for a while. All through middle school and in high school before I dropped out Language Arts class was always my favorite. I was actually good at it to and often recieved praise for my work.

         You could imagine how disappointed I was when nobody wanted to publish my first written novel. I sent it out to dozens of people, dozens of times each but my book was always sent back with a note saying to work on it some more. That’s when I discovered self publishing. At first I wasn’t doing to actually do it. After all those returns I had to wonder if it really just wasn’t good enough. Eventually though I just thought, ‘fuck it, if it’s so bad I’ll see so myself!’ It’s been almost three weeks since my book became available on all of the top ebook sellers. I even drew the cover myself.

         The problem is that I can’t bring myself to go and see how well it’s actually selling. If it’s selling at all. Even if nobody ever buys it I am more that proud of my work. But, I’m still afraid. Afraid that nobody wanted to read it. Afraid if they did. Afraid that all of those publishers were right. Afraid that they were wrong.

Damon

         It’s official. I’m going insane out of boredom. Elena has been off at college pretending to be normal, leaving me to my lonesome. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I kind of miss Little Gilbert. He was a pain in the ass but at least he was by some definition, good company. But he decided that it was time he has some space from all of this nonsense. I wish I could have a break. Stephan is still here but he’s always writing in his diary, or eating chipmunks, or whatever he does in his spare time. Which seems to be all the time now. Mystic Falls has been fairly uneventful these past few weeks. It’s almost sad that this is what my days now consist of. Drinking bourbon alone and thinking. But it is what it is and it's been this way for the past two months.

Stephan

         I race home, throwing open the door and calling out for Damon. As usual he ignores me so I enter the parlor where I know he will be. He’s sitting on the couch with a scowl etched into his face, drink in hand.

         Damon’s not good with boredom. He craves action and constant movement. If it was fifty years ago he would have snapped and created some action of his own. He’s keeping it together, though. For Elena, he can’t disappoint her. For Alaric, he’s not about to loose the only real friend that he’s had in decades. Maybe even for me, no matter how much he denies it I know that he likes that we have regained some of our brotherly bond that I ruined back when I made him turn. He doesn’t have to deal with his hate for me, for what I did, any longer. He’s finally chose to forgive and forget, to move past that old battle.

         “Hey little brother. Are you done spacing out yet or should I keep waiting?” Damon asks, waving his left hand infront of my face. “What’s up with the look?”

         “What look?” I ask. I’m not sure how to tell him.

         “The ‘we’re all doomed’ look. Or is your face always like that? I can’t really tell. Now, what the hell is going to?” He demands.

         “The other day, I was at the Grill. This girl from out pf town showed up. She didn’t look older than fifteen. She was with some other kid and they were looking at a piece of paper. A birth certificate. The boy asked her what her real last name was and she said Mikaelson. Daughter of Niklaus Mikaelson.”

         “That’s insane. Vampires can’t procreate. You must have heard wrong,” Damon dismisses the idea.

         “I looked into it. The birth certificate was real. They look alike. I can’t find anything that could prove that it was a mistake.”