~9~

Summer had ended and school had begun. Starting at a new school scared you, but turns out Benny and you had quite a few classes together so he helped you get adjusted. And it was now second semester, after you celebrated Christmas and New Year's in California with your best friends.

You were waiting at your locker after school for Benny the day after Christmas break ended, as he had offered to study with you for your upcoming history test sometime. You saw him walk up, and you smiled as you walked towards him.

"Hey! You ready to study?" You elbow his side and smile.

"Actually, um, my mom asked me to go through some old pictures or whatever with her, and I couldn't say no... Could we do it tomorrow?"

"Oh! Oh, yeah. No problem. Well, you wanna walk home together?"

"Sure." You two head out the front entrance and head home

You made small talk and laughed at some of Benny's bad jokes until you made it to your separation point. You exchanged goodbyes and went your separate ways. You opened your front door and called out for your mom, letting her know you're home.

"Hey, mom! I'm home!" You call, and you wander into the kitchen to get a snack. Instead of finding a snack, you found your mom on the phone with someone. "Mom?" you ask, and you see her shoulders shake in a silent sob. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Oh, Y/N," she sobs, and you frown. "This- this is your grandma. She called to tell me that... oh, I can't say it. Here she is," your mom sniffs and you take the telephone from her.

"Grandma? Is everything okay?"

"Y/N... you know how your grandfather is unwell." She takes a deep, shaky breath and continues. You have a bad feeling about where this was headed, but you didn't want it to be true. "He passed away last night." There it was, like a punch to the stomach.

"Oh my... grandma, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Your hand drops and the phone just hangs there for a bit before you hand it back to your mom, and lean against the counter for support.

"Alright, bye mom. We'll come as soon as we can," your mom whispers, and then hangs up. "Y/N, come here, honey." She pulls you into a hug, and you both cry in each other's arms.

Your dad came home as soon as he could and stood with you guys, mourning over your grandpa.

The next hours were your family talking about what to do next, but they finally decided to head to Y/H/T to help your grandma prepare the funeral and clean her house. You were going to leave in two days.

After the decision was made, you breathe in deeply and whisper, "I'm gonna go upstairs." You give your parents one last hug and make your way to your room. The overwhelming surge of emotion from the news broke the dam and you started crying. You sat down on your bed and cradled your head in your hands.

+++++

Your mom had called in to school to excuse you for the day you packed. You would still keep your position at the school, but home schooling would be the only option until you came back.

All day you were getting things ready to leave- cleaning your room, doing laundry, picking out necessities for the ride there and back, clothes to wear, etc. You also had to get your dog's things ready for the ride too.

Hours had passed, and you figured you would be walking home from school with Benny right about now. Did he wonder where I was today?

The doorbell rang soon after that thought, and you wondered if it was him. "Y/N! Someone's here to see you!"

"Have them come up here, I'm busy!"

The voice at your door confirmed it was Benny. "Can I come in?" he asked.

"Yeah, come in."

"Hey, why weren't you at school today?" He asked with hands in his pockets, looking around at the mess you were creating trying to pack.

After a sigh, you explain the whole situation to him, and how you wouldn't be back for a few months. He just listened with a sympathetic look on his face. "-and so that's where I'll be for the next few months," you finish and close your suitcase for emphasis.

"Y/N, I'm really sorry about your grandpa. And that you have to leave."

"Yeah, me too. But I'll be back, don't worry. My parents won't wanna stay there too long," you let out a breathy laugh and finish zipping all your bags. "Hey, do you think I should tell the boys tonight? Will they even miss me?"

Benny looked at you in surprise. "Miss you? Of course they will! You're one of us now, Y/N. We'll all miss you. I can call them to the sandlot, and you can tell them there," he offered, and you nodded.

"Yeah, sure. I just hope it's not too hard. This really sucks, y'know? I didn't know it would happen this soon, I thought I would be able to go back and see him before... well, now I can't."

Benny nodded in understanding.

You finished gathering your bags and tidying up, so you and Benny headed out to round up the boys.

+++++

"So, guys. I- I gotta tell you something, and it's not good news." You wring your hands together as the boys listened intently and silently, something you did not expect. "My grandpa... passed away, last night and my parents made the decision to go back to Y/H/T and help my grandma get through it. I'll be gone for a few months, at least, and I leave tomorrow."

"What? You're leaving us?" Ham exclaims.

"Yeah yeah, you can't leave us."

"You're a part of the group! Hell, we can't even play well without you. What're we gonna do while you're gone?" Kenny paces in front of you, and everyone else nods and murmurs in agreement. You give them all a sad smile, and nod.

"You'll make it. It'll be just like before I came, right?"

"Nah, it can't just go back to what it was. I don't even remember what that was like!" Timmy says.

"I don't even remember what that was like!" Repeat repeats.

You nod. "I'm sorry guys. It's only a few months, though. I'll be back." You feel tears prick behind your eyes, and you see the boys all tearing up along with you. "Group hug?"

Everyone nods, and they gather around you. "We'll miss you, Y/N."

"I'll miss you guys, too. Don't have too much fun without me."

"How can we, when you're taking all the fun with you?" Bertram jokes, and you all laugh. Man, you really were gonna miss these guys.

A/N- y'all get that reference? hehe
{feb. 23, 2021}