~epilogue~

It had been quite a few years since the summer of '62 and the incident with the Beast, and Benny was still your number one. Benny had continued baseball, of course, and had gotten an offer to play for his college team all four years of his schooling. That opened a door for him to be examined for pro ball.

You graduated college together, and Benny took to one knee and asked you to marry him. No doubt, you said yes. You happily moved in together, and were now planning your wedding.

But Benny had another surprise. He had always dreamed of playing professionally, and everything he did was to work towards that dream of his.

Little did you know, his dream came true.

+++++

You came back from work one day, and dropped your bag on the counter, flopping down on the couch.

"Y/N, are you home?" Benny calls from the bedroom.

"Yeah, Ben. Do you need something?" you groan and sit up.

"Yeah, lemme come get you!" he rushes out and around the corner and grabs your hand, pulling you up and kissing your forehead. "I have something for youuu," he sings and pulls you behind him. He led you to the kitchen, and grabbed an envelope from the counter.

"Benny," you laugh. "what's this about?"

He smiled like a little boy and handed you the envelope. You gave him a suspicious look and pulled out the paper, reading the headline. Your mouth dropped as you continued reading, and a huge smile grew on your face. You bit your lip to keep in your excitement, and Benny watched your reaction.

"Benny, this is awesome! You got a letter from the Dodgers! Oh my word!" You jump up and wrap your arms around your fiancé's neck, pressing a huge kiss to his lips.

He laughed and hugged you close, celebrating with you.

"Honey, this is amazing!"

"I know! I get to meet with the manager, and get a shot at pro ball!" He grabbed your waist and spun you around. A smile spreads on your cheeks and you press your lips to Benny's again.

"You deserve it. I love you, Benjamin."

"I love you too, Y/N."

+++++

"Now pinch running from the Los Angeles Dodgers, Benny 'the Jet' Rodriguez!" Benny runs out onto the field, heading to third base.

"It is the clutch situation of the season," the announcer said. "They say the Jet's lost a step or two, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some fireworks here." You look up and make eye contact with him, and nod your head in agreement. He knew very well that his childhood best friend was about to make history.

Everyone watched intensely as Benny waited on third base. Your leg was bouncing, watching your husband on the field. "C'mon, Ben," you whispered.

"The Jet's got a suicide lead and-" it was silent. And then he ran. "And there he goes! He's stealing home! They don't see him, I don't believe it- he's stealing home!" Smalls yells as Benny sprints towards home. "He's stealing home and they don't see him! I don't believe it, they don't see him! The pitch!"

"Come on Benny! Finish strong!" you yell.

The catcher catches the ball and leans in to tag Benny, but Benny made it to the base first, diving in and touching it with his hand. "He's in the dirt, in the dirt- he's safe! Safe! Safe!" The umpire makes the final call and Benny throws off his helmet in celebration.

You jump up and cheer, along with everyone else in the stadium. "Safe safe safe! I don't believe it, the Jet stole home! The Jet stole home!" You turn and give Benny's mom a huge hug, and she returns it.

The whole LA team crowds around Benny and lifts him up, all while cheering and celebrating. They jog off the field and Benny turns around, giving Smalls a big thumbs up. Smalls returns it with a proud smile.

+++++

You wait for Benny in the hall outside the Dodgers' locker room, barely holding in your joy. As soon as he comes out, you jump on him and squeeze him in a hug.

"You did it! I knew you could."

Benny laughs and hugs you back. "I did it, didn't I?"

You nod and release him from your grip, giving him a huge smile. "Yes! Now let's go celebrate, your parents are waiting outside." You grab his hand and lead him to the car.

That was only the beginning of an amazing career for Benny, and you were there every step of the way.

Soon enough, there was a little Rodriguez to take to the games and teach about her daddy's favorite sport. There was a long road ahead of the three of you, but you wouldn't have it any other way.

{july 29, 2021}

a/n- omg it's been forever! i apologize for the super long wait, but here it finally is. i hope it ends the story well, and i hope you all enjoy it. let me know what you think!
thank you all for coming on this journey with me. the sandlot has been a huge part of my life, and in this book i could show the love i have for it.
i love you guys <3

-j