Chapter 6

Mia's pov

Tory and I wake up the next morning exhausted, but excited for the days training.

Practice sails by and before I know it we're done and I go to leave.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Hawk attempt to approach me and before he could get too close I bolt out the door.

I had already decided I wasn't going to let any boys distract me and make me weak, especially Hawk.

Just stay away from him and any tiny feelings you might've been starting to feel for him will be gone - I tell myself.

Later that night I get a call from Tory.

"Hey M why is Miguel telling me you're avoiding Hawk?"

I roll my eyes "I'm not avoiding him Tor I'm just keeping my distance so I don't get distracted"

I hear her sigh, "I'm not telling you what to do, but maybe you could use the distraction. All you really do is train anyway. It's not like he's part of Miyagi-Do or anything either, you guys could be like the power couple of West Valley High"

I snort "Yea for sure I highly doubt he wants to be anything more than friends"

"Girl- I gotta go but stop being delusional" and with that, she hangs up.

I ponder over her words for a couple of minutes before shaking my head and settle down to fall asleep.

--

"Class fall in! Today I will be tracking your progress by pairing you with an opponent to fight." Sensei Lawrence studies us.

I sense a pair of eyes on me and without even having to turn I know who it is.

"Diaz and Donero, center floor now!"

A smirk graces my face as I make my way to the center. I've spoken about 3 words to Miguel and am more than ready to kick his ass, champion or not.

And kick his ass is exactly what I did. On the start signal, I land my signature kick to his stomach. Recovering fast, he responded with a punch to my gut. Barely even feeling the pain, we continue to fight, but it wasn't long before I finished him with a sharp elbow to his nose. Sweeping his legs out from under him, I step my foot on his chest and smirk at the bruise forming on his face.

"Up Diaz, it's sad enough you just lost your champion title to a girl. Good work Donero" Sensei Lawrence regards me with interest and a glimmer of excitement in his eyes.

I grin and hold my hand out to Miguel.

"I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, I have been training for over 3 years"

He takes my hand and I help pull him up, "Yea whatever" he responds playfully

I make my way back to my spot, but not before I make eye contact with Hawk and decide to send him a small smile.

After practice, Tory walks with me to my car. She turns and notices something behind me and leans in.

"Don't run again, just talk to him. Also, it completely slipped my mind but be careful, he just got out of this relationship with this chick Moon who broke his heart"

I give her a glare "You're kidding right, how could you not mention that before"

She shrugs and gives me a quick hug before leaving.

Gathering my thoughts, I mentally put up a couple of walls.

"Hey good practice today, you totally crushed Miguel"

I turn to meet his signature air of confidence.

"Thanks, hope I didn't break his nose though"

"Nah he's fine. Woah is this your ride" He eyes my black Lexus.

I roll my eyes "Yea my dad bought it for me as a gift"

"What was the gift for?"

"Never being around" I respond casually

He falters, "Well it definitely beats my ride" he grins, gesturing behind him to his and Miguel's scooters.

I laugh "I don't know I think your scooters are pretty cute"

I watch him take a nervous breath, "We should hangout sometime, I'd love to get to know you better"

I study him for a second. "Are you doing anything right now?"

"Right now?"

"Yea I was gonna go grab some food alone since Tory has work, wanna come with?"

He glances over at his friends who were not being subtle at all about watching us.

"You know what, yea I'm down let's go"

"Great get in, I'll take you back here after since your scooter's here"

Mentally preparing myself to keep my guard up around him, I start the engine and start driving to a local diner Tory mentioned to me earlier.

"So you've been practicing karate for over 3 years."

I turn my head slightly sideways to spare a quick glance at him. "Yea did Miguel tell you"

"Yea he did, that's pretty cool, no wonder you're better than everyone here. "

I stop myself from blushing at his compliment.

"Thanks, you're pretty good too. I saw you fight at the last All Valley Tournament on Youtube."

He raises an eyebrow, "Is that what you meant when you said earlier you did your research?"

I let out a small laugh, I had forgotten about that.

"Yea I completely forgot about that."

I turn into the diner. "You know, Miguel might not have won the tournament if it wasn't for you"

He turns to me confused, "What do you mean."

I park the car and turn towards him "You're the one who injured that kid Robby. You basically paved the way for Miguel to win."

He thinks to himself for a couple of seconds, "Yea I guess you're right. I never looked at it that way before. I just kicked him because he was saying shit to me and pissing me off"

I nod and open the car door. We head inside and find a table.

**************

a/n: I have a tiktok account made for this story- hawkfanfic

I'll be posting small bits and pieces relating to the story as well as any updates. If you could drop a follow that'd be great, thanks for reading it means a lot! <33