Chapter 4

"There are things you remember and there are things you can't forget."

30TH DECEMBER [2:47 A

30TH DECEMBER [2:47 A.M.]

AH! If only people could actually have a good sleep after a tension full day. What they say was completely wrong. No, you couldn't relax after a tension full day, the tension would still be there.

So was the case with the dear detective, who finally went home this morning at one, after constantly delving deep into the Beth case for six consecutive days, doing double the work because he had no team backing him up, except his friend-turned-foe-turned-almost friend Jim.

David was dead tired, but couldn't sleep. He fidgeted and fidgeted around in his bed, unable to even close his eyes for more than five minutes without a severe ache arising in his head.

He was a severe workaholic. But recently he hadn't been able to get any work done at all, despite working and night! Nothing was going well. His head was bursting with anger and infuriation until he heard a sort of heavy clinking on his window.

Jolting up, he rushed to it, and well, he was daydreaming, in his mind, cause he was going mad, again in his mind, cause, well, he saw something which removed every ounce of exhaustion from his whole body.

He saw a girl. A limping girl. Throwing pebbles at his window, with great hard work, seeing that her hand was injured. Some, or maybe every other person would have guessed her to be Beth, but he was just shaking to his bones, thinking another crime had been committed.

He rushed outside without his robe or his slippers and saw the girl clearly.

"Ple-Please. Hel-help me..." The girl whimpered, "I'm-I'm injured. Ba-badly."

What the...?!

▪︎▪︎▪︎

31ST DECEMBER [4:34 A.M.]

The girl was okay. Her little finger had been cut off, one of her wrist bones badly dislocated, and her legs covered in severe bruises, but ... she was okay.

Her name was Beth. Beth Wand. The Beth Wand.

David had in a way, succeeded. One of the killers' victims had escaped, alive. In the people's eyes, it was impossible. In David's eyes, it became possible. He was just sitting there, in the hospital chair, thinking. And for the first time in 3 years, he actually heaved a sigh of relief. When Beth gave her statement, it would be a very useful lead.

But, David, in a way had failed too. Failed the other twenty victims. The ones which couldn't escape. The ones which must have waited for him till, their last breath. The autopsy of the recently found dead body had indeed revealed it was a girl. It had indeed revealed it was a work of THE serial killer. Ah! He couldn't wait for Beth to wake up.