13. 𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖑𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖗𝖚𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊, 𝕴 𝕬𝖒 𝖄𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖘

"What's wrong, Doctor?"

Edward seemed genuine. His eyes widen in immense worrisome. His mind raced through all the horrible what-ifs. The thought of it made his heart rapped against his ribcage, patience waning, anticipation crashing his soul. The doctor was in there, for no longer than fifteen minutes, but it felt like decades. So, when Doctor Higgins finally appeared, Edward jumped to his feet.

Dr. Higgins wiped his glasses as he spoke. "Your suspicion is right; she does have a fever."

"Well... what causes it?"

The man cast a skeptical look at the door of her room. "She was, in a word, afraid."

Edward shook his head in slight surprise at the answer. "Whatever could be terrifying her? What could be so terrible that it dragged her into such a state?"

"I am as clueless as you are." The doctor replied helplessly. "Poor girl. She was scared to the bones. Tried to talk to her about it, but she seemed reluctant. Whatever it is, I prescribed her some medicine for her fever. Make sure she finishes them in a week, and she will be as healthy as ever."

With one final goodbye and a reassuring pat, the doctor left. Leaving Edward in the halls.

𝔇𝔦𝔢 𝔖𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔫 𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔡𝔢𝔫 𝔩ä𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯!

"Miss?"

"You can come in..."

Inviting was her tone. With minimal force, Edward nudged the door wide enough for him to enter and closed it behind him. The first thing he saw as his sight reached the bed was Dorothy.

She was calm and collected. A cup of hot tea was in her hands. Though her chest rapidly heaved in dire search for air. A deep blush spread across her face, a bitter hot surge of embarrassment. She took a careful sip.

Edward cleared his throat as he reached her bed. His long arms dragged a nearby chaise before he took a sit. "How do you... feel?"

"Much better."