CHAPTER 11

Chapter 11
Making Friends

×

Thankfully he quickly backed away from me and looked back to see Sam entering the room, looking between us.

"You are needed at lunch sir." She said to him. He let out a frustrating growl and walked out, slamming the door behind him, making me flinch.

Sam walked up to me and looked at me with a worried expression. "Are you okay Evelyn? I noticed he was missing at lunch and came to check on you." She held my face between her hands and looked me over for any damage.

"I'm okay. Thank you for coming back." I answered her and placed my hands on top of hers to try and calm her down.

She let out a relieved breath and gave me a hug. I stood still for a second, shocked by the gesture but then gently wrapped my arms around her waist.

"I don't want anything to happen to you. I feel the need to protect you." She whispered to me and place her head on my shoulder. I was slightly shorter than her.

I started to get a little teary-eyed because of that. She's so nice to me and she doesn't even really know me. "Thank you Sam." I whispered back.

We stayed like that for a bit and then separated. "I see you finished folding the rest of the pile. Thanks." I just nodded.

She placed the clothes in some laundry baskets to bring them back later and then took a seat on her bed. She patted the place next to her, indicating that I take a seat there.

"Tell me some more about you?" She questioned. I thought about what I could tell her. I didn't really want to talk about my old master so decided to tell her a bit about my life before I was a slave.

"Um. Before I got sold to the auction house, I lived in a little barn with my parents and my brother. We had a farm and some animals. We were poor but had just enough food for us four. We had a pretty good life considering."

I started telling her, thinking back to my old life. The memories replaying in my head. Sam placed an arm around me, comforting me.

"But then a really cold winter came and almost all our crops died. Some animals got sick and everything started to fall apart. My brother also got the flu and because we didn't have the right medication and enough food, he died before the winter was over."

I sniffed my running nose and leaned against Sam. "What was his name?" She gently asked me.

"Caleb." She wrapped her arm tighter around me and kissed my temple.

"That's a beautiful name." I closed my eyes and nodded my head. Some tears escaped my eyes.

"Shh. I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me if you don't want." She told me.

"I don't mind. I don't have anyone else to talk to." I said and then continued my story.

"After that awful winter, my parents and I almost never had enough food. We tried to make it work but after half a year or so, my parents decided to sell me to the auction house in return for food. I was 15 at the time." She gave me a sad smile.

"My parents were killed when I was 16. So I was homeless and one day some vampire found me and took me to the auction house. Then I was sold and ended up here." Sam said. We looked each other in the eyes and knew that we both had different lives but ended up broken and lonely. All because of those monsters called vampires.

We layed on the bed in each other's embrace for a while, glad that we had someone who understood. I feel like I made a friend, something I haven't had in a long while.

-

The door opened and my master walked in. She was still wearing the dark blue suit she wore this morning when I woke up.

Sam and I quickly stood up from the bed and bowed.

"I assume everything went okay? Did my pet behave?" She asked Sam.

"Yes ma'am. She help me with some shores." She answered. We exchanged looks and decided it was best not to tell the queen about Elijah.

"Great. Shall we go? I think you've been here for long enough." My master told me. I nodded and let her attach the leash.

"Bye Sam." She smile at me and said goodbye back.

We left the room and made our way back to the queens chambers. "You're such a good girl. I'm sad to see this outfit go, I think with dinner you'll wear it again."

She walked to me, took the leash off and started undressing me. "Do you like this outfit I picked out?" She asked.

"Yes master. It's really comfortable." She hmm'd and continued taking off my clothes.

When I was bare, I kneeled down and looked at her. "If you want you can continue reading that book you were so into last time." She suggested. I looked down at that. I had been trying to understand the letters and words, but it's impossible when I don't know what each letter looks and sounds like.

"I don't need to. It wasn't that interesting." I got nervous. I didn't want to look like a fool in front of her and seem ungrateful for having those books.

But my master sensed my uneasiness. "What's the matter my pet? I can hear your heart beat going faster." She grabbed my chin with her fingers and tilted my head up to look at her. When I didn't answer her fast enough, she started applying pressure, making me whimper.

"I-I c-can't um-"

"Can't what? Answer me pet, I'm becoming inpatient."

I decided to just tell her, because I didn't want get punished for something so silly.
"I can't read master." I said while a tear fell across my cheek.

A look of realization came across her face. She released my chin and let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry for not saying anything before. I j-just didn't want t-to seem ungrateful." She looked back at me and crouched in front of me.

"I understand, my pet. I'm not angry with you, but I would have liked to be informed about this. Next time something like this happens, you tell me. I might be a vampire but I can't read minds." I nodded my head, glad that I didn't make her angry.

"Okay, good girl." I crawled closer to her and suddenly she picked me up, moving us over to the bed. I let out a squeal and held on tight to her.