two

los angeles...

california...

2010...

When Alec was sent to Los Angeles to spend six months there, he was sure it was some kind of punishment. Of course, he was wholly aware that his mother hated him, and his 'father' didn't even care enough about him to even look at him. Mostly, Alec just shrugged, packed a bag and stepped through the portal to the Los Angeles Institute without much else to say. To say he was surprised by his greeting would be a vast understatement.

All the other Shadowhunters appreciated Alec's expertise and knowledge of demonic and magical lore, were impressed by his skills despite his age and all wanted him on their patrols. He ended up paired with a twelve-year-old trainee in order to give her a proper, well-rounded education. Beatrice Morningstar was nothing like Alec ever expected her to be. She was mundane raised, only spent two days a week at the Institute at the insistence of her step-father, who wished her to learn how her abilities worked.

The first month went by pretty smoothly, at least until Trixie invited Alec back to hers for dinner and a movie with her parents. With no reason not to accept, Alec agreed and headed home with Trixie after the end of their patrol instead of back to the Institute as he normally did.

"So, my dad is out of the city at a conference," Trixie explained in her usual chatty ways, directing him up a well-lit street along the beach. "So it's just me, mummy and my other daddy." Alec knew Trixie had two dads, that her parents divorced young and Trixie's mum had married someone else when she was ten and that her mum had just found out she was pregnant. Alec knew more about Trixie than he did Jace, which made something odd settle in his stomach at that thought. Alec and Jace had been discussing becoming parabatai when Jace turned sixteen the next year, but he didn't know all that much about Jace, and it was beginning to worry him a little. "Mum is excited to meet you."

"Wait, she is?" Alec asked, sounding a little confused.

"Of course, stupid." She replied matter-of-factly, rolling her eyes at him, grabbing his wrist ( ignoring his full-body flinch at the touch ) and dragging him around the side of a modest house and in through sliding french doors. "Mum, Papa, i'm home!" Trixie announced, kicking her shoes off. Alec followed suit, trailing a little behind the exuberant twelve-year-old that reminded him so much of his sister.

"Monkey, how was patrol?" A stunning blonde woman came out of a door, looking like she too only just got home. She still had a gun holstered at her hip and her badge clipped on her belt, her hair tied back. She seemed nice, but Alec reserved judgement.

"Good! We stopped two demon attacks and laughed with some silly Kelpie babies that got stuck with some accidental magic. We helped them back to the nest and the Kelpie mum gave me this." Trixie showed Chloe the silver pearl, which Alec knew Trixie planned on treasuring. Alec had offered to do a little research on it, knowing there was significance to pearls blessed by Kelpies. "Oh, and this is Alec, he's been mentoring me!"

"Alec, it's nice to finally put a face to the name." Chloe greeted, holding her hand out in greeting. "I'm Chloe."

"Nice to meet you, ma'am," Alec replied politely, shaking her hand. Trixie made a grumbling noise.

"None of this 'ma'am' stuff. Call me Chloe."

"Oh, um, okay, Chloe." Alec was caught off guard.

"Trix, why don't you show Alec around and settle him in the guest room before Lucifer gets home." Something dropped in Alec's stomach at hearing that name, finally putting the dots together. Morningstar wasn't a Nephilim name, and Alec silently kicked himself for not remembering why he was in LA in the first place - something that hadn't happened to him before.