NARRATIVE CHAPTER: ARCH

ARCH — oreo rice scene

Gotta focus, Arch.

Always keep the eye on the goal. I couldn't afford to slip up – in my basketball career, nor in my acads. That was what I promised my dad and myself.

I was proud to have one heck of a self-discipline, everybody looked up to me because of it. I'd always been able to prioritize. Not lately, though.

Lately, I hadn't been thinking of anything but one person; about how I wanted to call her, hear her voice, or just have her tell me about her day. It was as if I couldn't get through the day without texting her.

Damn, I seriously needed to get my priorities in check.

"O," Ansel said suddenly, dropping a yellow scarf wrapped bento beside me on the bench. We were in the locker room, and I was in the middle of changing.

I looked at it, then at him. "What is it?"

He swung a leg on the bench and straddled it as he stared at me, crossing his arms before saying, "Open it."

Cautiously, I picked it up and unwrapped it. I felt like I was opening a gift and I needed to have the right reaction, with the way my teammate was looking at me. My eyes widened after seeing what it was.

She swore she would never make this! I even begged her. Wait, Ansel handed it to me. Which means—

I looked at my friend. He was still staring at me intently, like he was sizing me up. I waited for him to speak, but he only watched me. I kept my expression neutral.

Finally, he said, "My sister made it."

I didn't say anything.

"For you."

I met his steady gaze.

"How long?" he asked.

"A couple of months," I replied, keeping my voice even.

His jaw clenched. "Did you know she's my sister?"

"No, not until a few weeks ago."

He looked skeptical. "Uh-huh." He sighed and shook his head, as he stood up and made a move to leave.

"You're not gonna grill me?" I asked him.

"Whatever, it's none of my business."

"For real?" I asked again.

He shrugged. "I trust Lele."

"But you don't trust me?"

He faced me and met my eyes, as he walked backwards. He didn't look pissed, which was something. "Arch, I trust you with my life. But with my sister? Remains to be seen." With that, he turned around and headed to his locker.

My attention went back to the oreo rice, a smile forming on my face. I felt as if something warm filled inside me, thinking how she made this for me.

"Oi, what's that?" Tanile piped up.

"Nothing," I said, closing the lunch box and trying my best to look nonchalant otherwise my teammates would never leave me alone.

"That 'nothing' looks good," Jose added, as he walked over to us.

"This is mine," I stated, hugging the bento to myself.

"Don't be selfish, Arch," West said. "Share your blessings."

I got to my feet to better defend myself and held out my free arm to get them away. "Back the hell off, you mofos."

Jose pouted. "Damot mo."