Journey's start

Zelda sighed with boredom as she stared out of the carriage which jostled along the path. She'd barely been away from her family and yet the brightness and joy that they brought to her already felt so absent.

"They're probably off getting into trouble."

Zelda smiled to herself. Though she worried that they would harm themselves somehow, she was certain that Link would keep their daughter out of danger. It was in his nature. From the moment Seres was born, she saw a look in his watery and slightly fearful eyes. A look that made the Queen believe her husband would be a great father, despite his childish tendencies.

She vividly remembered the day Seres was born. Link was completely out of control as Zelda tried her best to calm him down. She never thought she'd see him so terrified. It took him a while of calming down before he was in the right state of mind to find a royal doctor. However afterwards, all of that fear left him. Link started sobbing as he held his daughter in his arms for the first time, gently rocking her and humming a tune which brought Zelda close to tears.

The night after that had been restless. Neither parent could sleep for they were kept awake by the wailing of their daughter which echoed throughout the castle. Sometimes they would take it in turns to see to Seres, and other times they would work together. They would hum songs, feed Seres, walk around the castle with her in their arms or anything which would calm down the crying princess.

Neither of them knew what to expect, but they were happy, which was all they ever wanted.

********
"I want to bring my toys, and my books, and my dresses, and my-"

"Seres..." Link interrupted, "We're not going away for long, maybe just a day."

"But I still need everything!" The Princess protested.

"No you don't."

Link took out some clothes from Seres' drawer and neatly folded them before putting it in the bag. They wouldn't need too many, just a pair of pyjamas and a spare dress for Seres.

"Fine, one toy." He sighed.

Seres giggled and clapped as she ran over to the corner of her room where all of her toys were piled up. She had accumulated many toys over her years; too many, in Link's opinion.

"Should I bring Mr. Fluffy, or Cutie, or Fi, or Honey, or-"

"Why don't you bring Navi?"

Link held up a round, blue stuffed toy with iridescent wings protruding out of its body.

"Yes!"

Seres took hold of Navi and hugged it, before rubbing it on her father's cheek.

"Navi says hello!" She said.

"Hi Navi." The Prince Consort chuckled.

Link closed the bag and slung it over his shoulder, holding out his hand for his daughter to take.

"Are we going to go on Epona?" Seres asked as they walked through the castle.

"Do you want to?"

"Yes, yes!" Seres squealed, "I love Epona!"

"Me too."

"Who do you love more, Mummy or Epona?"

"Uh..."