Chapter 3

Aliyah's point of view:
I started trembling in fear after hearing Gianna say that. "You can't hurt my family!" I cried. "Don't tell anyone, and I won't," Gianna said, glaring at me, before walking away. "You don't think she's actually going to hurt my family, do you?" I asked Ms. Garcia. "No, sweetie. I think that she's just saying that to scare you," she told me. When we sat in our seats, one of the other students said: "Black people sit in the back!" "You're the one sitting in the back of the bus until you get home!" Ms. Garcia scolded him. "Get back there, right now!" she ordered, and the student obeyed.

"Are you okay, honey?" she asked me softly. "Yes. Thank you," I replied. "How long were you standing there?" I asked Jackie and Madison. "Long enough to hear everything," Madison said. "Yep, and she won't get away with this," added Jackie. "What do you mean?" I asked. "I got it all on video," she said, holding up her phone. As the bus stopped at a red light, I hugged Jackie and said: "I'm so lucky to have you two as friends." They smiled at me, and we all hugged. When I got home, I had a snack, did my homework, and waited for my siblings to get home. I have two younger siblings: my brother Jayden, who's 10 years old, and my little sister Amber, who's 7 years old.

They get home around 4:00, and after they had a snack, they did their homework, which I helped them with. After I helped them with their homework, I wrote in my diary about what happened today. Mom and Dad got home, at 5:00 today. They usually got off from work at 3;00, but today they had to work after hours because of last-minute clients. As they made dinner, I thought about telling them about what happened today. Not just today, but yesterday. At dinnertime, my parents could see that something was bothering me, and the look of concern on their faces made me decide to tell them.

After I put on my nightgown and climbed into bed, I began to read a book when my parents came into my room to say goodnight. "Mom, Dad. Can you come in please? I have something that I need to tell you," I said.

Sure, honey," Mom said as she and Dad came into my room. "What is it that you wanna talk about?" Dad asked. "Remember when I told you that there are students at school that are being bullied?" I asked. "Yes. Go on," urged Mom. I took a deep breath and said: "I'm getting bullied too." "You're getting bullied!?" Dad cried. I sighed. "Yes. I wanted to tell you as soon as you got home, but I was afraid to," I replied. "Why were you afraid?" Mom asked. "B-because my bully threatened me, saying that if I told anyone about it, that she would make not only my life miserable, but yours too," I replied.

Mom took my hand. "I understand, sweetheart, but it's your dad's and my job to protect you, not the other way around," she told me. "I know. Now, I talked to Mr. Donovan today, and he came up with an idea that'll hopefully put an end to the bullying. He wants me to come up with a PowerPoint presentation about it, and present it to the whole school. Mrs. Adams wants to help me with the research. Can I stay after school for 30 minutes or so?" I asked.

"Sure. I'll come and get you at 3:30," Mom said. I thanked her, and she and Dad kissed me goodnight. The next morning, which was a Thursday, I woke up feeling much better. It felt really good to tell my parents, and I just hope that this would encourage others to do the same.

After I got dressed, had breakfast, and brushed my teeth, I got on the bus and told Madison and Jackie what happened. "You told your parents?" Madison asked. "Yes. I was scared to tell them, at first. But then I remembered how much they loved me. So I decided to tell them," I replied.

"We're so proud of you, Aliyah," said Jackie. "Very proud," added Madison. I smiled at them. As the school day progressed, there was nothing happening, at least, not to me. Other African American students got bullied again. One even almost fell from the second floor after getting pushed over the banister. Of course, Jackie, Madison and I were the only ones who intervened, and comforted the victims. I told them to tell their parents about this, and if they can't tell their parents, tell their teachers, or school counselors.

They all were hesitant to do so, but I said to them that I told my parents, and they didn't get angry at me. "You never know what'll happen unless you try," I told them. Still, I didn't get a reply from them. They just glanced at me and walked away. Later that day, during lunch, I went to the bathroom by the cafeteria, and started talking to myself. 'I'm glad that I told my parents. It felt so good to tell and not keep it inside. It just makes you feel bad. I just hope the others will gain the courage to tell,' I said to myself as I washed my hands. When I came out, I sat between Jackie and Madison at lunch, when suddenly, I felt a hard tug on my braid, making me shout in pain.

Madison and Jackie looked behind themselves. "Gianna! Stop that!" Madison shouted. "Oh, but it's so fun," Gianna said, tugging at my hair again. "Ow! Stop it!" I cried. "Oh, 'Stop it. Stop it.' You're such a baby," she said, mocking me. Jackie pinched Gianna's arm, making her let go of me. "Why did you do that?!" Gianna shouted angrily at Jackie as I rubbed my head. "We kept on telling you to stop hurting Aliyah, but you didn't!" Jackie shouted back. "Why did you pull my hair?" I asked Gianna. "I heard you saying that you told your parents about what happened. I told you that I would make your life miserable if you did. Now I'm going to make you even more miserable," she told me menincingly. She held up her fist as if to hit me. But before she could, someone tapped her shoulder, and we all saw one of the security guards, along with Mr. Donovan. "Into my office, young lady," said Mr. Donavon sternly. Gianna agreed, but she turned back to me, shouting: "Her parents are dangerous! All of the parents of the black students are dangerous! I already made you miserable, now for your family!" I sank down in my seat with my head in my hands, trying not to cry.

"She doesn't know what she's talking about," Madison said. "Don't listen to her, Leah," Jackie told me. I smiled a little. "Are your parents really dangerous?" asked a boy who sat directly across from me. "No they're not!" I shouted, banging my fists on the table. "My parents are not dangerous! They're very kind and loving people. My dad is a dentist, and my mom's a cosmetologist. The best of their jobs in town, according to their bosses. Don't believe anything that Gianna says. It's not true!" The cafeteria went silent. No one said another word as lunch continued.

After school, I went to Mrs. Adams, and started my research with her. We found a good article about bullying and what it is. After printing it out, I looked through it. and highlighted the important parts. After finding another article, about the different types of bullying, I did the same. Soon, my mom came and got me. When I got in the car, I told her what happened. "Who is it that's bullying you?" she asked me. "It's Gianna King. She's a senior," I told her. "I hope that she stays away from you from now on," Mom said. I sighed inwardly. I wanted to believe Mom was right, but I had a bad feeling that Gianna was still going to bully me, no matter how many visits with the principal she'll have.