Chapter 27 Getting Started

The small town near Linlan’s Yuhua Sect had always been more prosperous than other places. There were a lot of people at the pubs, and since there was a lot to talk about as of late, many of the less educated and unemployed people chose to express their views of current events there. They would spend their time, incidentally, complaining and embellishing stories about the sinister, deceitful ways of the demonic path cultivators.

News had just arrived from the frontlines — the Demonic Path’s Mei Yin Gu1 had used a dirty trick and a Righteous Path’s sect master’s senior disciple had been seriously injured.

In a corner, a young man who had been listening quietly for a long time raised his eyebrows and asked: “Who is this senior disciple?”

A number of cultivators who had been chatting looked at each other and then looked at the person who had spoken with a twinkling now present in their eyes.2

The man sitting in the corner was wearing a snow-white gown decorated with a cloud pattern. His facial features were delicately beautiful but he looked too cold, especially those dark pair of eyes that were like pools of black water. It was as though with one glance he could make a person’s entire body cold.

His bearing was extraordinary. With just one look it was easy to tell that he wasn’t an ordinary person.

Several of the cultivators immediately replied: “Don’t you know? I was told that it was Song Jingyi, the head disciple of Tian Yuan’s sect master. I heard that almost all of his Yang energy has been sucked dry, tsk tsk”3

That man immediately clicked his tongue in disapproval, saying: “What a pity.”

The other cultivators urged him on, dumbfounded: “What?”

That man let out a dry cough and smiled slightly: “I mean, it’s genuinely pitiful.”

Several cultivators murmured among themselves that they should invite this young man, who looked out-of-place here, to join their discussion group. However, the man just nodded at them and then took off.

Outside, the sky was clear and the air was pure. In the cloudless blue sky, a bird in flight flitted across the sky; the whole world seemed full of vitality.

Chu Yu gazed into the distance around him for a moment then stretched his body: “It’s good to see the sky outside.”

He had stayed alone in the gloomy Mausoleum Ruins for almost ten years. If he hadn’t found a way out a month earlier, Chu Yu felt that he might have gone insane at some point.

Even so, the current cultivation world was truly chaotic.

Listening to the people chatting in the tavern for a long time, Chu Yu learned and understood what had been happening these past few years.

Ten years ago, war had suddenly broken out between the two factions of the Righteous and Demonic Path cultivators. It had lasted for over a year. Everyone’s Qis had suffered an injury and, after six months of truce, the cultivators of the Righteous Path formed an Immortal Alliance headed by the eight great sects. They had vowed to fight the Demonic Path cultivators, to beat them up until their own mothers wouldn’t be able to recognize them before they would allow them to live peacefully in Yun Cuo.

Unfortunately, before the Immortal Alliance cultivators could valiantly attempt to cross the Jinhe River to ambush the enemy, their plans were leaked by the Danyang faction. The Immortal Alliance was the one who were then taken unawares by an ambush, and they suffered heavy casualties. The Danyang faction then defected to Demonic Path side. The Cang Liao guarded the frontlines of the war at Jinhe River, therefore when the Danyan faction of Cang Liao defected, it wasn’t long before the Jinhe River was lost to the enemy.