Chapter Six

Jade

I was on a red baggy top which looked more like a dress now because it was too big. I had one of the sleeves as an off-shoulder just to add style. I had a black bumbag around my waist, and my rainbow Palm Angels slippers. I had my hair packed in two bun and two braids at the front, falling across my forehead towards the bridge of my nose.
I had my M&M, Skittles and Mentos mixed in a popcorn pack and then my tropical fruit drink was on my right hand as I walked right into Screen Four.

I had never been there alone and I was more than nervous. I just acted like everything was fine.

The security there checked my ticket and tore it into two before letting me go in. It meant I was checked in.
Since I paid for the VIP row, I wanted to hurry and get a seat at the last row. The VIP had six rows and the last row was the best because you had the better view of everything.
I got a seat there finally, at the right edge and settled there. I dropped my fruit drink in the cup holder and placed the pack of my mixed sweets on my laps.
Good Lord! I loved sugary stuffs. A guy and a girl settled beside me on my left but the guy was directly beside me.

He looked so cute even though the room was dark now. My heart fluttered but I wasn't the boy type, I didn't know what boys liked about girls so I never dreamt of being too close with a boy. My life had just been boring.

The movie begun and soon I was too interested in it. It was so thrilling and had cliffhangers at the end of almost every scene.

I overheard the boy beside me talking to the girl he came with.
"You could have said you wanted to see the movie with someone else," he whispered to her.

"I never wanted to come here today and I certainly wouldn't have seen the movie with you. Isn't it obvious Ezinne set us up so we could talk? I'm not interested in you, period." Her voice was almost loud.

That was harsh. Though...

I turned immediately to see the boy as he swallowed hard. He seemed hurt.
"Please excuse me," he said to me and left the screen.

I also wanted to wash my hands because my hand was getting sticky so I went to the washroom. That place was not where you saw toilets, you just washed your hands and dried there or your face or did your makeup. Both boys and girls could be there and nothing would happen because it was too open.

When I had gotten there, I saw the guy. I mean the one who was sitting beside me. He had his head bowed and his eyes shut, like he was forcing himself not to break down. I dropped my phone on the sink top and washed my hand then dried it. I wanted to leave but I felt I needed to talk to him.

"Hi," I said, but he didn't reply. "It's okay if you don't reply. I get you're not in a good mood and I'm sorry for prying now but I just wanted to tell you that I saw what happened back at the screen and I know you feel bad about it. Maybe you really need to know that you give love to only those who give you love." He didn't say anything. "Is it bad if I tell you what I noticed about you when I got here? A lot of girls had their eyes on you. You can give someone else a chance. And please come to see your movie. You don't have to waste the money you spent on your ticket." He still didn't say anything so I left and went back to continue seeing my movie.

Jeremih

When she left, I felt like pulling her back and into a hug because what she had just said made me feel better. I felt bad that I snubbed the hell out of her, making her look stupid.
Still, I did not get to see her face so I just splashed water on my face, and dried up before going back to the screen.
Even at the screen, I could not get to see her face really well because it was dark and when the lights came on at the end of the movie, she left immediately, not giving me a chance to see her face or say thank you to her. I was the pompous type in public but this time around, I felt like I needed to get my ego down and say a thank you to her for her soothing words.

Lydia followed the other way with the guy who had come to see the movie with her. He was that same guy at the gym. I forced myself not to lose it right there so I just left. Already, Eudora was waiting for me outside.

"Can we go get icecream from ColdStone? I really want their coconut icecream," she said to me, handing my game card over.

"Whose money?" I asked as we walked towards the stairs.
"Yours na," she replied.
"How much did you spend from my game card?" I asked.
"Just 4k."

"And you call it 'just'? You no dey fear face o."

I saw her roll her eyes even though she looked the other way to do it.
My eyes spotted the girl on a red baggy top and her hair packed into two bun. She was the girl sitting beside me.

She got into the front seat of a car and the person driving drove off. I really would have wanted to be with her and tell her how I felt when she said those things to me at the washroom.
Anyways, there is a reason for everything.