Chapter Seven

Jeremih

So Princess burnt the whole rice and mum had been yelling at everyone because of this. My dad was the one who was very angry because his friends were coming over that morning for a meeting.

Princess had just been doing her things without talking to anyone while Kemi had taken over the kitchen, cooking another rice. The amount of rice wasted was not a problem to Dad because he had bought enough bags in the house and we were storing them well so they wouldn't get spoiled. But it was a problem to mum because she hated food being wasted, it was a sin to her. She said it was in the Bible.

I was dressed in a dark blue shirt with white stars. Tito and I had planned to wear same outfit today but his was going to be a red shirt with same pattern as mine.

Finally, we got to church late after all the fuss and my sisters doing their makeup, even bringing it to the car.
I took a seat at the back beside Tito.

"I saw this girl last week Sunday," Tito whispered to me.
"Who?" I looked up from my phone because I was not even concentrating. That Sunday service was literally boring, the teens there were just dull. Some were passing messages through papers. I wondered if their phones were not available anymore. The thing was they sometimes did some awkward stuffs to kill boredom.

"This girl beside Lydia," he whispered.
I looked closely. She still had her straight black hair making her look like a white.
"Oh, nice. I almost bumped into her last Sunday."

"She's the one right? I guessed so," he said. "She already looks pretty though I have not clearly seen her face. She looks white, do you think she is?"

I shrugged. "Maybe."

"I'll talk to her after church," Tito said to me.

"Seriously?"
"Trust me. She is just my type."

"Okay then, good luck to you. I still have Lydia to run after," I said.
He looked at me like I was stupid. "The girl doesn't care about you. Can't you see she looks happier now? Because of the new guy in her life. Dude get over it."

"But I still like her.."
"Or I'll tell your mum."
"Just because you know my mum doesn't support these kinds of relationships until we are twenty?"
"I go still tell your momsy sha." He chuckled.
I slapped his arm. "Come off it."

"...So now, with all these beautiful things in the world who will think God doesn't exist?" Mrs Fejiro asked.

The white girl raised her hand up. Some of us cleared our throat while others chuckled, or whispered.
"Huh?" Mrs Fejiro looked surprised. "Why are you raising your hand? Do you have a question? Come on, stand up and ask your question."

The girl stood up. Damn! She looked hot in her sky blue outfit.

"What's it? Do you have a problem with what I've said?"

"Why do you think God exists?" the girl asked. Some people gasped. I was so shocked myself. Everyone had their eyes on her, even those that had not heard what she said. Now, the whole teenage church was so silent.

"Don't you believe God exists?" We could tell the surprise in Mrs Fejiro's tone.
"No." She was so bold.

God! I mentally removed my ears and placed them back. What had she just said?

"Why?"
"I just don't believe it. Why is he referred to as a loving God when he still sends the people whom he created to hell? Why do you believe there is even heaven or hell? Why do I have to believe there is God whom is referred to as perfect but still he lets us suffer and put the evil tree in the garden of Eden? Isn't he selfish? He did not want anyone to be perfect like him. He just made man, as you guys said, in his own image and likeness because he is fake and wants to be seen as good? Why do you all even believe in folktales? This is a folktale. Where did the garden of Eden vanish to? Who are we serving? A wicked and heartless person who lets bad things happen to us? Why would he curse us? Let us suffer pain as women during childbirth and let the men sweat for food. Let the snake, the animal he created, to crawl on its belly? Make his creatures turn against each other? Why does he have to make the world to be opposite each other in one way or the other? Isn't that enough to prove God doesn't exist? If he does and he is good, then the world should have been perfect. I would be in the Eden garden too..."

"So what do you believe in?"
"Nothing," she answered immediately.
"So how were you created?"
"Through mum and dad, duh." Her tone is sarcastic.
"Who created them?"
"Ancestors started it."
"Who created the ancestors?" Mrs Fejiro asked.

"Just know everything in this world came in through the selfish big bang theory. It blew up and formed stuffs. A selfish thing blows up but somehow this one managed to create Earth," she replied.

"Her accent nice sha," Tito said. That guy was so stupid, honestly.

Mrs Fejiro chuckled. "Why are you in Church?"
"Mum asked me to."
"She believes in God right?"
"Like all of you here do. Yeah, she believes in this folktale."

Is this girl stupid.

"You could have simply rejected the offer of going to church if you believe we are serving nobody."
"I could have, yes. Trust me, I'm obedient."

"Why?"
"I choose to be."
"Can't you choose to be disobedient?" Mrs Fejiro asked her.
"I can. That's why I said that big bang theory is a selfish something. It blew up, making us know it has a bad side so yeah it made its thing live its own kind of lives. Thank you." She sat down.

"See me after church," Mrs Fejiro said.
"Okay," she replied.
"So why are you succumbing now?"
"I told you I'm obedient."