2.1: Dreaming, Only Of You

One week

One week. One week passed until I saw Rosalie in the cafeteria once again. I was so tempted to ask her why she had been gone for so long, and demand that she never go away for that long again.

Edward was strangely isolated during Biology, the nosey redhead flat out refused to answer any of my questions. This only fueled my need to know what their problem was. After school, Charlie and I had plans to make spaghetti from scratch, and I decided I would ask him about the family. Finally, Mr. Molina made us swap papers to check answers and Edward was forced to communicate with me. Better than nothing.

"So..." I could tell he was apprehensive.

"You already know what I'm going to ask so just answer," I practically begged. His head rolled back in frustration and I could tell his facade was fading, quickly.

"Alaska, happy?"

"No." My arms crossed over my chest and I knew I was acting like a bratty child, but there was no other way I would get any answers.

"Ugh." He rolled his eyes. "You're just persistent, aren't you?"

I nodded, "And impatient." He pursed his lips, probably trying to come up with some sort of compromise. I had no intention of negotiating what I deserved to know.

It looked like he had thought of something when the bell rang, and then he was gone. The motherfucker. I groaned and packed up for my next class, hoping that Charlie had at least a little bit of dirt on the Cullens, just enough to get the ball rolling.

"-and I just think that they deserve some sort of privacy, don't you? I mean, they have good parents, good kids. Upstanding!" It was the fifth minute of Charlie's tangent about the Cullens. Of course, nothing came of the inquiry. I would have to do some personal investigation, with someone outside of Edward Cullen.

I skimmed over my internal list of options. Edward had proved to be nothing more than background information and asking Rosalie herself was definitely off the table. The other girl in the Hale triplets, Tanya, was with Edward, and I couldn't see that conversation going very far, as she had to be somewhat similar - diverting - to the redhead. Her brother, Jasper, seemed too quiet. Even though I knew he was a tutor, he just always seemed ready to self-implode. Too volatile, I decided. That left me with the decision to choose between Emmett and Alice. To choose at that very moment was impossible, and I decided to wait until after dinner to make the decision.

Charlie was very proud of the dinner we had made together, and I was too. It was nice to actually have a parent in my life, rather than be one. I loved Renee, but she was much too...indecisive, if that was even the right word. She followed each whim she had, like she had no other choice.

"Hey Bells, uh, I was just wonderin' if maybe you'd like to go fishing with me this weekend?" Charlie was apprehensive.

As much as I wanted to joke about Harry Clearwater bailing on him, or some other accident or happenstance that would make him choose to take the clumsiest girl in the world near the open water, I settled for, "I'd love to, dad." Charlie was okay with that, and so I was too.

After dinner came homework, which hadn't been much. Most of it I had gotten done waiting for Charlie to come home from the police station. I relished in the hot water of the shower after I had finished everything, mind still unmade. Of course, I didn't have to make up my mind by tomorrow, but the sooner I talked to one of them, the better. Especially since Edward had probably already told Rosalie about my slight "obsession" with her. It was more of an infatuation, if anything.

I'd had feelings for girls before, but never of this magnitude. Rosalie had made my heart stop and start again all in one beat. With the way she flipped her hair and smiled, you'd think she was representing what beauty was. I found myself thinking about what she did outside of school, how sweet she was to the boy in the cafeteria that hadn't had enough money to pay for lunch when she paid for his meals for the rest of the year, and, strangely enough, how soft her lips looked, especially in the few times I'd seen them up close. For the first time, that night, I dreamt of Rosalie Hale.