3.0: Hell Bent Honey

Bella felt abnormally calm with the answer Rosalie had given her

Bella felt abnormally calm with the answer Rosalie had given her. Would she be okay settling for it? Not in the long run. The blonde had promised more of an explanation, until then, Bella would do some research of her own. Speaking to the townspeople proved unreliable. Could anyone outside of town know about the strange Cullens? Bella figured that would be unlikely, almost no one moves to a neighboring town. Edward and Rosalie both mentioned having family in Alaska. Not that anything could be done in that realm, Charlie would never let her go. Besides, she had no idea where in Alaska.

She would have to wait, figure out some other answers. Like why Rosalie seemed to show interest then leave because of her. Though, she did say she came back for her. Mixed signals much?

Rosalie was pleased to hear that Bella wouldn't be digging for their secret, for now anyway. A sigh of relief fell from her lips and she suddenly realised she had bigger problems. She had promised Bella answers, ones she couldn't provide even if she wanted to. Would she buy the idea that Carlisle only adopted children with a specific genetic condition? Probably not. Bella Swan was too smart for her own good, and it might get them both killed. The situation in its entirety might have the same results. When she heard Jessica and Angela invite the Swan girl to First Beach, she began believing in a higher power. As she reveled in the small victory, another thought crossed her mind. Bella's friend Jacob lived in La Push. She gripped the lunch table considerably tighter than she had been, and Alice gave a cough when cracks began to form on the pale knuckles.

A trip to the beach. How small and unrecognizable, yet to Bella, it was everything. To hear the waves crash against the shore might be the best distraction she'd had yet. It was melodic, at first, the chattering of incessant teens paired with the incoming tide. Then Jacob showed up. His puppy dog crush had been cute when they were little, but his remaining feelings after years of not seeing her felt intrusive to Bella. Had he ever tried to move on? Sure, there weren't that many girls on the rez but, damn, no one in Forks was good enough for him either.

She wasn't proud of it. It felt like a betrayal to Rosalie, even if there wasn't anything to betray. When Jacob's friend, Sam, had mentioned the Cullens not coming to La Push, she had to bite her tongue. She wanted to, no, needed to know. Jacob had suggested the walk, and made it easier by starting the conversation. Bella asked a simple question: What had Sam meant? Her friend laughed but she didn't understand what could be funny. In order to manipulate the situation better, she laughed along. It felt horrible, using Jacob as a means to an end. But she was losing her mind!

"Really it's just, like, an old, scary story..." And Jacob proceeded to tell her everything she needed to know, and still nothing at all. If the Cullens did have descendants who made a treaty with the Quileute tribe, why had they left. Why move back so recently? Unless Jacob was right, and the Cullens came back. But the puzzle pieces didn't quite fit on the board so easily. She would think more about it when she got home, she would enjoy her time with her friends for now.

The digital red numbers on the clock were becoming annoying. All the possible theories and ideas she had regarding the Cullens plagued her, intruding on her sleep. Surely the Cullens couldn't have been the only pale hunters on Quileute land, so why was a treaty necessary? Maybe it was because of what they hunted, better yet, how. How did they hunt? The guns they used must have been too loud, but that idea became void when she realised that they had to have heard guns before. She took a deep intake of breath when the thought came to her: the speed and strength, the fake adoption stories, the love the town has for them. The Quileute tribe saw them as a threat to the townspeople. Why? That was the question that remained. They weren't human, that much was clear. What were the Cullens? Time to cash in those explanations, Rosalie.

Bella spotted Rosalie first, though the latter could smell her from miles away. Not that she knew that. Brown eyes led the golden ones to look off into the treeline. She took the first step, a clumsy one, of course. Rosalie hesitated, looking between the human girl and Edward's glare. Her face hardened and she turned, facing away from her brother. She had made her decision. Even though she still felt his eyes burning a hole into her back, she couldn't bring herself to regret it. Maybe she would, eventually. She had no idea how much. With a single step towards the treeline, her other foot followed, as if on autopilot. When she reached Bella, she was in a small clearing of trees, logs lay horizontally on the moss covered earth. She was sitting on one, tapping her foot nervously, playing with her fingers.

"So you know?" Rosalie asked, taking a small, gentle step towards the other girl. The last thing she wanted was to be seen as a threat.

"Not everything," Bella admitted, "I know you're not...normal." She cringed at her words, and Rosalie laughed.

"Normal?" Rosalie playfully mocked the human.

Stuttered words erupted from her, "Th-that's not wh-what I meant. You look normal, mostly. You're prettier than any 'normal' person I've ever seen. I-I mean you're not...human." The word gave her a sudden gasp of realisation.

"Bella," she was serious, "if you want to leave, you can. We never have to speak about this ever again, if that's what makes you comfortable."

"No!" Bella cried out. "No, please. I can't leave you, you can't leave me. I know it's weird but...it's like I have this-"

"Pull," Rosalie finished her sentence. The human nodded slowly.

In a flash and with a quick breeze, Rosalie was in front of Bella. "It's normal. In fact, I feel it too. But, Bella, you need to know...any interaction you have with me, there's always a risk."

With a flashback to every horror movie Bella had ever watched, she quickly put the pieces together and whispered, "Vampire. You're a vampire." The blonde turned away, nodding.

"Bella, your blood, it's so...overwhelming. At the same time, I've never felt this controlled around a human. Vampires, we-we mate quickly, fall hard," she explained.

A small laugh could be heard and the brunette managed to say, "So that's what this is." It wasn't a question, more of an understanding.

A warm hand made its way to the marble-like surface that was Rosalie's face. As much as she knew she should pull away, she leaned into it, savoring the feeling of the touch.

"Another thing, Bella, I-I can't let you be like this, like me."

"Okay," Bella nodded, "But you owe me some answers. Let's start with the mixed signals, blondie."