2.2: Ethereal, Like You

If death is anywhere near as sweet as the look of Bella Swan in the dreary rain, then, I beg of you, please let me die now

If death is anywhere near as sweet as the look of Bella Swan in the dreary rain, then, I beg of you, please let me die now. No one else could possibly flourish like she had in the dark shadows of the clouds, soaked by the droplets of water that caressed her face like I wished to. Edward gave me that look again, the one that made me want to catapult him into the Grand Canyon. So what if I was obsessed with her? I doubt her little "investigation" would get very far. Alice knew better than to reveal secrets and Emmett, well, Emmett didn't want his family ruined, and he always looked at the big picture. All was well and fine until the fragile little human almost got hit by a car.

Oh god the fear that struck within my soul when I saw the van. Tyler knew better than to drive fast in the lot and why didn't he get new tires and why the hell aren't his brakes working -

I couldn't help myself. She was just standing there, like a fool and I'm the idiot who had to save her. Letting her die would not only disrupt the entire town's infrastructure, it would uproot us with all the attention. I was only looking at the big picture. They all scowled at me like they had any idea what it was like to hate yourself so much for loving so hard.

Before I even had the chance to talk myself through it my hand was shoved into the metal of Tyler Crowley's van, the other wrapped around Bella's waist, where it felt like it belonged. I only wished I had stayed a little longer, stared into those pretty brown eyes for just a second more, inhaled the sweet scent of strawberries into my nose, burned it into my senses, for just another minute. Unfortunately, the harsh bells of immortality tolled in my ear and, boy, were they unhappy.

I drove to the hospital, there was an urgency in needing to talk to Carlisle. Bella Swan being at that exact same hospital at the exact same time was unimportant and coincidental, truly. My week away had not soothed my nerves about the girl, had not soothed anything, actually.

"Rose, you need to give the girl space," Carlisle said in that fatherly voice. Perhaps medicine was not his purpose, maybe it was us, his children.

"I've tried, really. What is it, this burning, aching feeling in my chest?"

Carlisle gave a somber look, "That's your mating pull. It only gets stronger the longer you spend around her."

"So leave her alone and the pull goes away." Edward really, truly pissed me the fuck off sometimes.

"Leave Tanya alone and I'll leave Bella alone." I was acting childish, and I knew that. However, my point stood.

"Rosalie, that's different we're-"

"The same species? Both going to live forever?" I scoffed, "Typical, Edward. You've managed to undermine my mate and my existence in a half-finished sentence. Great job."

Carlisle interjected, "Son, I know this is difficult for you, but your sister is right. When we mate, we fall hard and fast. You know better than anyone we can't control that. I feel this animosity stems from a deeper thought of lack of self-control. Edward, we will figure this out together, as a family. But Bella is clearly your sister's mate. Deal with it." This was the first time Carlisle had not indulged in my brother's superiority complex, and it felt great.

I started to thank Carlisle, however I noticed a dark mop of hair hiding behind the wall and I silently excused myself from my creator.

"Well, hello, clumsy." A smirk played on my lips and I knew she was blushing under that curtain of hair. I gently tucked a piece behind her ear with a "much better."

She sighed, a complex sigh that I couldn't quite read. "Can we talk about what happened?"

"Depends. How much are you willing to let go of?"

Ignoring me she asked, "Why were you gone for so long?"

"Visited family." A half truth that didn't satisfy her. "And...to get away...from you."

This was clearly a confusing victory to her. Her eyebrows furrowed, "But why?"

Her voice was so timid, like I had never heard her speak before. She was terrified of the answer but her mind needed to know, nonetheless. How many nights had she stayed up, worrying that I hated her so much I had to leave, even though I barely knew her.

"Listen, Bella, it's complicated, really complicated. I'll tell you more later but for now, you just have to settle on the fact that I also came back for you, alright?" My voice was gente, hopefully soothing her anxious head.

She bit her lip, but nodded anyway, "Ok. Ok, I'll take that, for now." I laughed at her attempted intensity, it was cute, like when she bit her lip. I was getting distracted. I tucked her fallen hair behind her ear once more and winked at her as I turned around to leave.