118 | pointless

Taehyung's POV

As soon as I leave Jungkook's place, I drive away in my shiny black mustang and I let myself lose control on autopilot. With one hand on the steering wheel and my free arm resting on the window I dash freely into the street and much to my luck there's not much traffic. The night is still young and all I want to do after this exhausting evening is spend some time alone in order to recharge my batteries from all the interactions I've had throughout the day.

The cool winter breeze that comes in from the window causes the hairs on my arm and my nape to raise while gooseflesh forms on the surface of my skin. As strange as it may seem, I don't like the cold, but I do enjoy the breeze when it hits my skin. Especially when I'm driving. There's something fascinating about taking a drive under a pitch black sky with only hints of gray clouds fogging up the atmosphere on the brink of a rainfall. One thing that would make the night even more magical would be the stars that decorate the night sky. However, it's almost impossible to see stars in New York unless there's a blackout so I guess I'm asking too much. No one can deny that the world is a sweeter place when nightfall strikes, because only then you can actually see the colors in the dark.

I used to take short drives like this all the time back when I was in high school with Jungkook and Jimin, but ever since I entered university the time in my hands was extremely limited and most of it flew out of my hands like sand. There are times when I regret having stepping foot back into my house and right into my father's grip, but I had lost all hope when I lost the one thing that was important to me. Nothing else mattered, so I mindlessly gave up my freedom and my independence all because the person who convinced me that I deserved it had permanently left my life and for good reason. Staying in New York would only cause her more pain and misery so I had to let her go even if it meant never seeing her again.

A few moments later, I find myself walking near one of Central Park' oldest features, the Glade Arch in Cedar Hill. Not a lot of people are here at this hour which is something I'm immensely grateful for. Towering buildings are surrounding the park, the lights that shine from the windows are like diamonds, replacing the ones that are in the sky. The forest is cold and yet it feels like home. Quiet and bearable. My mind goes back in time when the guys and I would just walk under the bridge at night and Jungkook would take dozens of pictures, even when we didn't wanted our pictures to be taken, but in the end it was worth seeing how he captured the world around him through his camera.

Back in the day we didn't value things like simplicity, we were always craving for something new, something thrilling. The world seemed like such a vast space and our young stubborn minds thought that if we had a strong will and an iron fist then anything was possible. And once things got the slightest bit tough and complicated we immediately wanted to back out like cowardly hypocrites. Soon enough we would grow accustomed to the noise and the chaos that surrounded us. We became what the world wanted us to be. We became what was expected of us. And the problem was that we didn't value our quiet. We were always searching for adventure and we associated interesting times with trouble. Maybe that's why we're fucked up.

As I walk on the scenic path, I finally lean against the arch' rail and admire the view ahead of me, reveling in the serenity that the night provided. Tilting my neck upwards, I screw my eyes shut and inhale deeply. I can hear the gentle shoe steps of the few people who are pacing back and forth. The sussurating sounds of the dead leaves against the ground is like music to my ears and the cold feels relaxing when it touches my face. It caresses my head ever so gently that it makes me want to fall asleep.

"Excuse me?" Someone suddenly says, disrupting my peace. I open my eyes only to see a strawberry blonde girl with freckles holding something like a sketchpad in her arms. "Hi, sorry for disturbing you. I just wanted to give you the drawing I made of you just now." The girl holds out a paper from her sketchpad and I look at her hand blankly as she expects me to take it.