Chapter Four

"YES!" screamed Elodie in her head, as Ms Heikkila read out the list of who made it into the choir. Her name was one of the first.

"Thank you, children," concluded Ms Heikkila. "Can I ask that all students who did not make it into the choir this season, to not give up because there is always next season. Work hard, stay positive and make it happen."

The rejected students left the auditorium as the choir stayed behind.

"Okay choir." Ms Heikkila clapped her hands. She was a young, energetic lady of twenty-five, with a powerful strong voice and dancing blue eyes.

"Rehearsals are twice a week on Monday and Thursday recess. Please make sure you come to at least one per week, as any failures to meet that expectation will be asked to leave." She passed around a sheet of paper with the lyrics for Kelly Clarkson's 'Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You).' "Please learn these lyrics off by heart, practice at home and I will see you on Thursday!"

Elodie stood up and began to make her way towards the exit until she heard Ms Heikkila call her name. "Elodie, sweetie, could you please stay behind for a moment?"

"Sure." Elodie walked over to her teacher.

"Honey, you have probably the best voice here. I've never seen such a dazzling talent before," said Ms Heikkila softly. "As a result of that, I'm going to give you the solo."

Elodie gasped, speechless. "Really?"

"Yes, really," nodded Ms Heikkila. "I only give solos to Year Tens and up, but you're so much more talented and passionate than them. You can do better, I have faith in you."

"Thank you so much, miss," exclaimed Elodie. "I promise I will not let you down."

Ms Heikkila winked. "I hope not. Now go and enjoy your recess."

Elodie grabbed her satchel and sprinted out of the auditorium, eager to tell Layla and her friends.

###

"I got in!" yelled Elodie, unable to contain her excitement as she slid onto the picnic table next to Khloe.

"Yay, good for you Elodie!" replied Layla.

"Oh my gosh Elodie, that's fantastic!" declared Emma.

"Great job," gushed Peyton. Khloe flung her arms around Elodie.

"I have a great idea," stated McKenna. "Let's go to the smoothie place after school to celebrate Elodie's success!"

There were cries of agreement around the table.

"Okay that sounds fun, I've never been there," said Elodie.

"You're going to love it Elodie," sighed Audrina. "Tropical Tango is the best thing that ever happened to me."

"No way Jose, the Strawberry Slide is the one to catch," argued Genevieve.

"Excuse me? Wait till you try the Pineapple Punch!" insisted Sarah.

Elodie giggled. "Don't worry. I'll try them all."

###

They walked together as a group, taking up most of the footpath in a blob. Gabriella showed Elodie pictures of her baby brother, Charlie babbled away about her new budgie, while Teagan walked arm-in-arm with her.

Elodie spied a massive smoothie cup balanced on a roof in neon colours. "Isn't that a safety precaution?" she said pointing to it.

"Yep!" shouted Josephine from the back of the group. "When they were building it a LOT of people were against it because they thought it would fall down."

They entered the smoothie bar and Elodie was immediately drawn to the bright coloured stools, the neon-lighted menu and the cool low hanging pendant lights. Elodie examined the menu curiously, trying to decide which one to have.

"So, are you still going to get all of them, Elodie?" asked Layla mischievously.

"No, I think I'll get the Passionfruit Plop." Elodie pulled out her purse.

"I'll pay," said Layla, getting out her own wallet. "Put it away. My treat for your success."

"Oh, Layla, really?" hesitated Elodie.

"Yes, and don't even think about paying me back," laughed Layla.

Once the girl at the counter called out their order, Elodie offered to go up and get the drinks. As she was walking back with the tray, she tripped over her own feet and the trays went flying.

A great peal of mirth echoed through the smoothie bar, and Elodie lay on the floor covered in coloured, scented gloop. The tray was somehow on the other side of the cafe. She looked up and saw Teagan with her phone, obviously snapping photos of the disaster. The rest of the girls were falling over each other, laughing hysterically. Audrina came over and held out her pale hand to help Elodie. She was the only one not laughing, and Elodie could feel her cheeks going crimson red. People were staring at them, some murmuring behind their hands.

"Thanks," she mumbled. She didn't feel like sitting with the girls anymore.

"No problem," whispered Audrina. She walked at Elodie's side to a different table and even helped her remove most of the smoothies from her face.

Layla looked so angry she seemed like she would spit at Audrina any second.