Chapter Eleven

After Mannix, a lot of Elodie's friends, and family spoke about the one they had lost. There were giggles as Teresa recounted Elodie's birth tale, Abyan and Savannah-May spoke about how Elodie would always play mermaid-fairy-princesses with them, and there were tears and sniffles as Beatrice told them more about Elodie's short life.

Just before the end of the ceremony, the red-haired girl Mannix had noticed at the beginning stood up, a folded piece of paper in her left hand. Beatrice didn't introduce her, just nodded for her to go up to the microphone. She placed a pair of black-rimmed glasses on her face and cleared her throat nervously.

"My name is Audrina Hanson. I am here on behalf of my entire friendship group, who -" she paused anxiously, as if the whole audience would judge her for what she said next - "bullied Elodie into suicide."

There was silence from the crowd.

"I know you are all judging me, even hating me for what I did. But honestly, I never wanted Elodie to suffer. Yet I still mixed with the culprits," continued Audrina. "I do know now that it was wrong. I stood there and watched my so- called 'friends' bully Elodie into sadness."

Sophie's hand found Mannix's and seized it. Audrina noticed her, and Sophie nodded, signalling for her to go on.

"I tried to be an ally in her suffering," said Audrina, looking up. "But it wasn't enough, and every day since her death I have felt so guilty that I stood and watched it all play out. I chose my own popularity and friendships over the one thing that I can't stand to watch. It was so selfish."

Tears were pouring down Mannix's face. He glanced at Sophie, also crying a river.

"Once our principal announced the news to the whole school, I burst into tears. The girl who led the group, Layla Jackson, merely sat there in her seat. At lunchtime, I heard her laughing. But three other girls, who I believe are here today, were the only ones who felt remorse and came to the office to meet with the principal. Khloe Rivera, Charlie Woods, and Teagan Diaz, thank you."

The three girls, who were sitting near the back, smiled through blotchy eyes and tear-tracked faces while everyone turned and looked at them.

"We are working on establishing a trust, alongside our parents and teachers, called Elodie's Melody, and your support will mean the world to us. We hope you can all help us to take a stand against bullying. Thank you for your time."

Everyone was so emotional after Audrina's speech, that out of respect for her, there was silence.

###

"But your book ran outta pages, and I wish I never waited to tell you out of all the moments in my life, the ones I got to share with you were probably my favourite..."

The voice of Scarlet Nanson, Bea's daughter, rang out beautifully in the song 'Choir' by Guy Sebastian. Mannix had picked it himself because if he could sing, that was the song he would sing right here, right now.

The casket was lowered into the grave slowly and reverently. At the top of the empty hole, a headstone read:

In Loving Memory of

Elodie Grace Moreno

19.01.04 - 21.8.19

We love you, sweetie, and we hope you're at peace.

Never Forget

Mannix placed his friendship bracelet into the time capsule, which was a small decorated box, and sat on top of the coffin. Inside it were other things like a pair of baby booties, photos of her playing Pictionary with her siblings, hugging her father, and painting with her mum, and copies of the lyrics for her favourite songs.

Teresa sobbed as everyone began scooping handfuls of dirt and placing them softly over the casket. Ryker stood back and hugged her, looking at the grave with an expression of finality, like he had realised that his sister was never coming back. Mannix's heart gave a burst of compassion. To lose someone so looked up to at such a young age was unimaginable.

###

The reception for the funeral was held at the Moreno household. Everyone who attended it was invited. The lounge room was decorated in the same fairy lights as the chapel ceiling had been. On a lacy covered table were Elodie's favourite foods: passion fruit meringues, zucchini fritters, pink lemonade, mini sausage rolls, and chocolate-chunk laden brownie, as well as home-made sandwiches, tea and coffee.

As he poured himself a glass of lemonade, Mannix noticed Audrina, the girl who made the final speech before the burial. He was curious to know if she had anything else to say, so he excused himself from where he was talking with Sophie, Jake and Rosalie, and headed over to Audrina.

"Hey," he said, holding out his hand. "I'm Mannix, you know, Elodie's best mate."
"Oh, hi Mannix," she replied, shaking his hand.

"I just wanted to say that I was so moved by what you said, that I was wondering if there was anything else in your story?"

Audrina sighed and put her plate down on the coffee table. "Honestly, there's not really much more to say. I never knew that my friend's actions could take such a horrible toll on Elodie."

"Are they really still your friends?"

"Oh no, they 'kicked me out of the group' since I tried to help Elodie. Anyway, I decided I needed better, I'd been having thoughts about it ever since they started being rude. I am still friends with Khloe, Charlie and Teagan though."

"The other girls, they got in trouble, right?"
"Yeah, with the police. Because of this thing called Brodie's Law, which explains that serious bullying can get you up to ten years in jail, they are facing severe criminal charges since they are over ten years old," explains Audrina.

"I'm looking forward to the trust, Elodie's Melody. I hope I can be a part of it somehow," wondered Mannix.
"We'd love you to. I think it'll only be about a couple of months until it is fully ready, and we can tell Australia about it," smiled Audrina.

They were silent for a few minutes. "You know, I never knew what Elodie was going through. She never told me or her parents," explained Mannix. "I can't possibly imagine what made her keep it a secret. It must have been so terrible."

Audrina looked up at Mannix. "Do you think she would have forgiven me?"

Mannix paused. Audrina's face fell.

"You know," said Mannix softly, "I think she would have."